• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What Size Tank For Breeding Altolamps?

Charlutz

Members
I picked up three female gold head compressiceps from Atlantis over Thanksgiving. They are a solid 2.5". The male I already had is 4" or more. Peter had his breeder altolamps in *I think* 3' tanks. Might have been 4 footers. I was a little distracted while I was there. I'd like to try a 40g breeder 36x18x16h if possible. I have large shells for the females to hide. If that won't work, I have a 40L which is 48x12x16h. It's not set up, but I could slap it together if it would make a big difference. As a last resort, I could dump them in the community tank (7 footer), but I'd like to get some fry, and that won't happen in the big tank. Thoughts?

D

daniel4832

Charlie,
I have found the 30/40 breeder works best for me. Two males, four to five females, lots of shells.
Daniel

Charlutz

Members
Charlie,
I have found the 30/40 breeder works best for me. Two males, four to five females, lots of shells.
Daniel[/b]

That's good news. I can rearrange things to have them in a 40br. I'd be hesitant to try two males to my 3 females though. In the 7 footer, the dominant male cannot leave the sub alone. In a 40 with females, I think he'd kill him quickly. I also don't want to put the two males in together as I think they are from different locations. Guess I'll try 1m/3f out necessity. Probably should have asked this question before I made the purchase. Live and learn.

Charlutz

Members
3 foot is plenty big... I use conch shells.

Good luck. If you got the ones I think you got... they are very nice :)[/b]

I've been looking for females to match that male I kept posting pics of. I think these Malasa gold heads are the one. Jenn at Atlantis picked me 3 females right off the bat by venting them. In looking at the tank, there were no obvious males. I think they had 9 more. BTW, if you are ever up there, you should see his alto breeders. Some are truly spectacular. I wish I didn't have a clingy two year old with me as I could have really done a better job looking at tanks. I only snapped a few pics but am having some technical difficulties. Keep meaning to post a short review of my trip.

D

daniel4832

Charlie,
I wasn't saying you have to do it that way, I was saying that is what has worked for me! There is not only one correct way of breeding fish, part of what makes breeding fish so interesting!!!
I don't see why you shouldn't have success with your set up.
Thanks,
Daniel

Charlutz

Members
Yeah, that's the way I took it. No worries. I wasn't real clear in my response. I know that my two males won't work together because they grapple in the big tank.. The "wish I would have asked first" only referred to the number of females. I would have grabbed a 4th while I was up there, but I was thinking that the fish didn't harem breed, but formed trios in captivity. I thought I was grabbing an extra female. Should have gotten one more.

Charlie,
I wasn't saying you have to do it that way, I was saying that is what has worked for me! There is not only one correct way of breeding fish, part of what makes breeding fish so interesting!!!
I don't see why you shouldn't have success with your set up.
Thanks,
Daniel[/b]