• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What rack did you go with?

captmicha

Members
Was wondering what rack set up you sent with and why. How's it working for you and your needs?

Frankly I don't know how I want to set up my tanks, once (if) I finally get around to it.

I was thinking putting my 55 gallons on the bottom levels and the smaller ones above those so I can pipe and share filtration between tanks with same parameters, of which I have a bunch.

Not sure if I want to do a drip through.

I was thinking a sump with a pond filter with back flush for the majority of my tanks and air driven filtration for the rest of them (ones with different parameters).

But I just don't know yet. Honestly, I feel in over my head. Especially since I need to do this on the cheap, which means DIY.

How the heck did you decide all this? And know what to do?

My interests lay in all different directions, so it's for a lot of different options.

LiluDallas

Chairpersons
Staff member
Was wondering what rack set up you sent with and why. How's it working for you and your needs?

Frankly I don't know how I want to set up my tanks, once (if) I finally get around to it.

I was thinking putting my 55 gallons on the bottom levels and the smaller ones above those so I can pipe and share filtration between tanks with same parameters, of which I have a bunch.

Not sure if I want to do a drip through.

I was thinking a sump with a pond filter with back flush for the majority of my tanks and air driven filtration for the rest of them (ones with different parameters).

But I just don't know yet. Honestly, I feel in over my head. Especially since I need to do this on the cheap, which means DIY.

How the heck did you decide all this? And know what to do?

My interests lay in all different directions, so it's for a lot of different options.
Reply.

I'm trying to come up with a plan for a rack system in an apartment. I'm so lost

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
First thing would be to have a diagram of the places you can put racks, and the measurements of the associated walls. Then a list of the tanks you have, or plan to have. Then its a matter of coming up with what fits your space and accommodates the tanks you have. I did all of this to determine the maximum amount of space I had to determine how many tanks I could use.

In the end I bought a prefab metal rack from HD 48x24x60, 5 shelves, but only using 3 due to height needs. Then I built 4 other racks, all 3 shelves high, though that leaves one just above the floor, and top shelves tough to reach, so 2 shelf racks would've been more practical, sump systems would be fine at/near the floor though. 2 of my racks hold 40 breeders, one rack holds 75s, and the other 10s and a 75. I had to allow room for a closet, utility sink, and wall with a window and electric panel.

Until you determine what tanks you have or want, and/or the space you have to use, there are endless possibilities for what you could make/use. Number and size of tanks depends on what you're using them for (small/large fish, breeding, growout, etc.) and your long term plan for fish you will likely keep.

Without some specific information to start with, nobody can really offer much more than generic advice, so you'll need to start figuring out the details and work from there.

captmicha

Members
First thing would be to have a diagram of the places you can put racks, and the measurements of the associated walls. Then a list of the tanks you have, or plan to have. Then its a matter of coming up with what fits your space and accommodates the tanks you have. I did all of this to determine the maximum amount of space I had to determine how many tanks I could use.

In the end I bought a prefab metal rack from HD 48x24x60, 5 shelves, but only using 3 due to height needs. Then I built 4 other racks, all 3 shelves high, though that leaves one just above the floor, and top shelves tough to reach, so 2 shelf racks would've been more practical, sump systems would be fine at/near the floor though. 2 of my racks hold 40 breeders, one rack holds 75s, and the other 10s and a 75. I had to allow room for a closet, utility sink, and wall with a window and electric panel.

Until you determine what tanks you have or want, and/or the space you have to use, there are endless possibilities for what you could make/use. Number and size of tanks depends on what you're using them for (small/large fish, breeding, growout, etc.) and your long term plan for fish you will likely keep.

Without some specific information to start with, nobody can really offer much more than generic advice, so you'll need to start figuring out the details and work from there.
I don't really have a plan, which complicates things. Bc I don't really know what I need.

I was planning on sumps on the very bottom, floor level, then I have a few 55 gallons that I was planning on having on the bottom levels. I have four of those. Then I have some 30 gallons, then my 20, 15 and 10 gallons.

My plans are keeping and breeding. Right now it's cichlids but I'm planning on other types as well. I'm planning on conservation breeding of endangered species, and a few shrimp tanks. Biotopes, so some will be planted.

I was thinking I'd plumb tanks with the same parameters to the same shared sump.

Possibly an automated water change system at some point, or just drip through with a dosing system for planted and buffered tanks.

Not big species. No monster fish in this set up. I'm not planning on any marine set ups currently. Lighting will be LED T8 shop lights, probably.

I'm saving big tanks on their own stands for the other two walls, and as show tanks. Not part of the rack system.

I have the water heater room next to it and currently am running a python type hose set up to it. But need to plumb through the wall when I know what to set up.

It's really hard to know where to even start. Feeling kind of lost.

captmicha

Members
Oh and a few smaller tanks for food cultures. Possibly. I was thinking a couple for daphnia and scuds, crayfish, maybe something else. Not sure.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Hard to come up with a design if you don't have a plan...

I'd suggest building/setting up a single rack and play around with the layout to see what works or doesn't, then you can get a better feel of how to set other things up. First thing is to determine your usable space and what tanks to use, setting up filtration systems, etc. takes on a whole new level of planning.

chriscoli

Administrator
+1 on setting something up and trying it out. My fishroom has evolved significantly over the years but most of it was because I would just try stuff out. I try to keep my stuff as flexible as I can because I'm always seeing something that I want to try. Some of it is worthwhile, some of it isn't for me but it's hard to know until you're up to your elbows in the details.