• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What Plants Do You Want?

craby

Members
My local fish store advised that they could order & recommend Anubias Nana Frazeri which is a broad leaf plant that supposedly does well in a Tanganyikan tank. I did a search on line & found limited info.

Can anyone verify their recommendation & advise if they have a source that's better than placing a special order w/ the fish store for around $6 per plant?

If so, I'm interested.

Cristy

Members
No such plant as far as I know. There's A. barteri v. nana which is your average Anubias, and there's A. frazieri which I'd say is one of your more delicate of the Anubias. So I can't see why they would recommend frazieri over other Anubias. A. coffeefolia is probably one of the toughest of the group. A. barteri is a standard that you always find in the fish stores and is pretty tough. Another genus to try is Crinum (thaianum or calamastratum), but you have to fertilize the substrate for these plants. Some people have success with plants in their African Cichlid tanks and some don't. It's all fish personality, I suppose, or maybe the fish needs to be raised with plants so that it sees them as part of the decor instead of as a snack. I don't know because I don't keep African Cichlids. $6/plant is not really expensive for a small Anubias in the stores.

Cristy

Members
You can get "beginner" plants at gwapa. You might have to request that someone bring some, though! :lol:

DeeCee

Members
I've been looking for spiral vals...........haven't had any luck in getting any though. Anyone have some they want to share?

DC

T

Thinkfaster

Originally posted by Ronald@Nov 17 2005, 10:25 PM
ones that I can keep alive
Have you tried Duckweed, Ron? All you have to do is water it. :D <_<

I am looking for some Cardamine lyrata, java moss (i know people have this), Xmas moss (or upright growing moss), Ludwigia peruensis. I got a lot to give too.

Cristy

Members
Thinkfaster, you sound like someone who should come to gwapa! Next one is Dec. 3rd in NoVa. Go on the forum and ask for those plants - I bet you get all of them!

T

Thinkfaster

I'm a member, but a lazy driver when it comes to getting to No Va. :unsure: I am planning on attending the biggie in Dec, though.

G

Anywhere in the bloody entire metropolitian area one can find water sprite? It's like it's gone extinct!