• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What Kind Of Fishkeeper Are You?

DeeCee

Members
I was thinking about it this morning - I've been off work with my neck injury now for several months, but it's finally at the point where I can do water changes without screaming (well, most of the time anyway.......) and it dawned on me that I'm REALLY enjoying taking care of the fish again!

I'm getting a kick out of going downstairs every day and doing whatever water changes I've lined up, making adjustments to the lights or air and just looking in all the nooks and crannies to see what the fish are up to. I guess it dawned on me yesterday when I got out the razor blade to scrape glass a little, so I could see them better. It's been a loooooooong time since I've really paid attention to them - and enjoyed them! Usually I'm just doing what needs to be done instead of doing what I WANT to do with them.

So what kind of fishkeeper are You? The "Get'er Done" kind, or the "Whoa - look at that!" kind? Does everyone fall into that kind of rut?

DC

longstocking

Members
A while back I was just going through the "motions" Still did water changes etc... but wasn't really enjoying it. About 2 years ago... I had my large tank come down with a nasty bug I couldn't get rid of to save my life. I still have no idea what it was ! It really bumbed me out !

I'm really enjoying it now ! I've picked fish that are challenging to me that keep me interested. I think that's the key for me ! I still have the ones that are easy as well... but they are ones that I personally enjoy.. such as the BN pleco's... I just love watching them when they are young ! Easy fish to breed... but I still enjoy them !

I play games with myself as well LOL... trying ot guess sex at early ages etc. Seems to help keep my interest and usually makes me a better "buyer". But the main thing that keeps me going is the challenge. Or keeping those "rare" fish that not too many keep and there isn't that much info on them. I enjoy sharring new info on them and finding out a behavior that I didn't think they would have. I try to rotate the fish I keep once I become bored with them... as that's when I tend to get bumbed out by doing water changes and watching the fish.

So I guess I'm one of those Whoa look at that ! But in a sightly different way.

Charlutz

Members
I tend to have a short attention span for my hobbies. Go full gusto to start and then my interest wanes. I've kept cichlids for 25 years but had definitely gotten into the lackadaisical rut. I had maybe 8 tanks in my unfinished basement without easy access to water or a drain, so water changes were time consuming and labor intensive. I cut down my tanks to a 220 and two 40 breeders. I occasionally set up a 10 as a hospital tank or for fry, but break it down once it's not needed. When I had my basement finished, I had the contractor put in a slop sink. Just having the ability to siphon out water directly into a drain and refill directly from the tap has made keeping the fish so much easier. Plus, having the tanks in a visible location puts the onus on me to keep them clean. I can do water changes for all the tanks in under an hour, with the tv on while I am doing it. I also stopped my scattershot approach to types of fish and concentrated only on tangs. I've kept up the momentum and interest for about 18 months. Joining the club and automating the water changes/maintenance as much as possible has made this much more fun and held my interest. I guess I'm somewhere in between the two extremes.

mscichlid

Founder
I used to be a "Whoa" now I'm a 'get er done'. Other obligations have gotten in the way and make the water changes a chore in general. I sort of fluctuate from month to month. One problem is that I don't like the way my fishroom is set up and I have started, albeit slowly, to change the way it's layed out.

Like Sarah, I need to change the fish I keep. I'm thinking about getting into larger fish... but they'll require that I spend more time changing water. Ugh... nevermind.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I used to be a "Whoa" now I'm a 'get er done'. Other obligations have gotten in the way and make the water changes a chore in general. I sort of fluctuate from month to month. One problem is that I don't like the way my fishroom is set up and I have started, albeit slowly, to change the way it's layed out.

Like Sarah, I need to change the fish I keep. I'm thinking about getting into larger fish... but they'll require that I spend more time changing water. Ugh... nevermind.[/b]

RIGHT! BIGGER! Come with me to Peru and bring home some Oscars and an adonis or two. You need bigger fish. Altums are pretty big too.

George

animicrazy

Members
RIGHT! BIGGER! Come with me to Peru and bring home some Oscars and an adonis or two. You need bigger fish. Altums are pretty big too.

George[/b]

Altums??? I need at least a hundred or so; if that means going to Peru...so be it.

As far as "type" of fish keeper: complicated. Most sane people have a fish room - like in the basement. I have a fish house - as in the only rooms that don't have tanks are the bathroom and my youngest daughter's bedroom (she threatened me). I love my fish and feel real pain when one expires. There is no joy in water changes (highly overrated anyway) so they get done when needed; although innovations like my new 5 stage filtration setup and a really great pump will encourage me to do more. None the less, I still get great joy from watching my pairs spawn (also a little jealousy) and watching the development of the wigglers into fry and then growing out into actual fish; even though it means more tanks, food, and all that. Of course how one feels as a fish keeper is/can be influenced by sheer volume; and I have lots of water and lots of tanks needing water - and fish. The decision was made (by me) to get big - 6k gallons is the 10/31/07 goal. Have the tanks, working on the logistics, renting the will, not concerned that I might miss by a couple of weeks. Getting it right - the first time is more important then an arbitrary date. So while I've sort of forgotten the categories, I hope that I have addressed the issue appropriately.

P.S. there are those days when I'm ready to sell the whole lot - usually a new spawn or a beer take care of that.

Paul.

DeeCee

Members
Now I KNOW that I'm getting out of my rut! A friend sent me pictures of his gorgeous spotted discus, and of course - I was ready to go set up a tank for some. I swear I was drooling.

And all I could think of is "hmmmm Ron has that ENORMOUS tank downstairs, all cycled and still EMPTY...............wonder if he would notice a dozen spotted discus in there???" :confused0007:

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Everyone gets bored with the hobby at times. I do. I get energized after some meetings and shows.
Heck I bought live bearers, plecos, and plants at a meeting last night. What the heck?

I run hot and cold. At times I stay ahead of things and do 50% water changes every week. Other times I just don't feel like it and things slip a little. Bad boy. Bad

longstocking

Members
Yup... happens to the best of us...

I will say everytime I go up to Julies I get that little extra "push" and my tanks benefit from it. I have found having close friends that are fish keepers tends to motivate me... not that all we talk about is fish... but just the casual exchange of info or news about them breeding something gets me off my butt !

Going diving also helps believe it or not... I get new ideas under water on how to create that prefect cave area.... or that perfect open water area. Seeing how fish react to current etc.... so many things to learn while diving !

marge618

CCA member
Yup... happens to the best of us...
I have found having close friends that are fish keepers tends to motivate me... not that all we talk about is fish... but just the casual exchange of info or news about them breeding something gets me off my butt ![/b]

Oh how true that is! :D Plus, when the fish keepers get involved in a more serious exchange like a fish show and auction I end up rearranging tanks.. adding more tanks...joining more fish forums, even try to aquascape a bit to make things pretty. (Do fish care if the tank is 'pretty'?)
Marge

F8LBITE

Members
Ive been pretty fish crazy for the past couple of years, as I research other fish im getting more excited about those as well. My girlfriend calls me a "fish dork" :(

whoa!.....I just realized this thread was really old.

kaj41354

Members
My wife tells everyone that I am going to a meeting of the "Fish Support Group" --Since I belong to both the ACLC and CCA I guess I have to go through 24 steps.. :wacko:

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
feel real pain when one expires. It kind of bothers me all day, I guess they are like a part of me. My Parents think I'm crazy and that I'm a fish geek or something, but it's my passion.

I'm just glad I found other crazy people to share this with.
:rolleyes: :unsure: :wacko:

dogofwar

CCA Members
I don't enjoy the hobby when I don't (or can't) keep on top of maintenance and have healthy fish.

In my (garage) fishroom in California, my auto-water change system made it really easy to change water on all of the tanks each day. While I'm in the process of building one for my new fishroom (it's almost finished), I change water down a drain and with a hose (about 1.5-2 hrs for 40 tanks).

I'm all about minimizing the burden of maintenance and enjoying my fish: feeding them, watching them interact and breed, etc. Being smart (or practical) about setting up tanks and the fishroom has helped a lot in that regard. I use air-driven filters and simple dump filters (easy to clean), simple decorations and little/no substrate. I've convinced myself that the fish like it when their glass is dirty :)

Losing fish is inevitable in the world of cichlids. But it bums me out. I lost the female of a stable pair from out of the blue aggression from her mate. Killed overnight with no warning. I'm pretty much over it now that I've located another one (lucky), and it doesn't happen often, but I really hate losing fish...especially to something stupid (aggression, jumping out, etc.).

Also, different aspects of the hobby keep it "fresh" for me: I really enjoy making my own filters, stands, water changing systems, etc. I'm not really handy, but it's fun to see something at the dollar store and turn it into a filter!

Sonny Disposition

You should post your dyi knowledge to the forum, or write it up for the biotope.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dogofwar @ Apr 2 2008, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I don't enjoy the hobby when I don't (or can't) keep on top of maintenance and have healthy fish.

In my (garage) fishroom in California, my auto-water change system made it really easy to change water on all of the tanks each day. While I'm in the process of building one for my new fishroom (it's almost finished), I change water down a drain and with a hose (about 1.5-2 hrs for 40 tanks).

I'm all about minimizing the burden of maintenance and enjoying my fish: feeding them, watching them interact and breed, etc. Being smart (or practical) about setting up tanks and the fishroom has helped a lot in that regard. I use air-driven filters and simple dump filters (easy to clean), simple decorations and little/no substrate. I've convinced myself that the fish like it when their glass is dirty :)

Losing fish is inevitable in the world of cichlids. But it bums me out. I lost the female of a stable pair from out of the blue aggression from her mate. Killed overnight with no warning. I'm pretty much over it now that I've located another one (lucky), and it doesn't happen often, but I really hate losing fish...especially to something stupid (aggression, jumping out, etc.).

Also, different aspects of the hobby keep it "fresh" for me: I really enjoy making my own filters, stands, water changing systems, etc. I'm not really handy, but it's fun to see something at the dollar store and turn it into a filter![/b]

dogofwar

CCA Members
Good idea - need to get the stuff finished first...

I can already hear my wife.

"Are you taking pictures of your fish again?"

"No, honey, I'm taking pictures of the rubbermaid I drilled holes in and made into a filter."

"A what?"

"A filter. Nevermind..."

I'd bet you all understand :rolleyes:

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dogofwar @ Apr 2 2008, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

"No, honey, I'm taking pictures of the rubbermaid I drilled holes in and made into a filter."

"A what?"

"A filter. Nevermind..."

I'd bet you all understand :rolleyes:[/b]

Dogofwar, I completely understand@@@@@@@@@@@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

dogofwar

CCA Members
I figured I wasn't alone among people whose partners don't understand our obsession with fish in glass cages :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SubMariner @ Apr 3 2008, 12:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dogofwar @ Apr 2 2008, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"A what?"

"A filter. Nevermind..."

I'd bet you all understand :rolleyes:[/b]

Dogofwar, I completely understand@@@@@@@@@@@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(
[/b][/quote]

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Mine used to look at me funny too.
Then when I found out about the CCA, I made her go with me to the first meeting. It was at a house and there were only like 10 of us. She liked the people.(don't know why)
She started going to all the meetings and soon became an officer.
Now she travels with me to all the conventions.(too keep me from buying too much.)
She has a small tank in here office and I catch her in the fish room more often. She likes checking on the fry. She always reminds me about water changes and the feeding of the fish if I forget.
The only problem I have with her now is not letting me expand. For some reason, she thinks 53 tanks in one house is enough....Got to get her medical help. Obviously its not enough.