• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What kind of fish are being passed around back east right now?

Hello from Milwaukee everyone. I was just curious as to what kind of cichlids are being passed around (BAP'd) right now in the east coast area. Out here in the midwest there have been a lot of Gymnogeophagus and West Africans making their way around and I was just curious if it was the same back east. Chime in with what you have been seeing the most of if you can.
Andy

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
I think this fish is hot

10mn29z.jpg

LOL. Sorry I meant what kind of fish are really popular with club members right now? Is there anything that people are really breeding a lot of that isn't the run of the mill?

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
A lot of Lake Tang stuff plus Gymnogeophagus, Jags, Electric Blue Dempsey's, and a bunch of Lake Malawi Peacocks too. We've been slowly infiltrated with Red Cap Lethrinops, and lots of Lulupi with some Apistos sprinkled on top of some Killie fish. LOL!

I hope I answered your question.

Richard

fischfan13

Banned
Hello from Milwaukee everyone. I was just curious as to what kind of cichlids are being passed around (BAP'd) right now in the east coast area. Out here in the midwest there have been a lot of Gymnogeophagus and West Africans making their way around and I was just curious if it was the same back east. Chime in with what you have been seeing the most of if you can.
Andy

Hey Andy, lemme take a shot at this...

I am seeing a lot of Tangs being moved around. On EastCoastCichlids.org the fish that I see bring bought and sold by most members are Cyps and Tropheus. Because our site is predominantly African I can only talk about Africans, this includes the Malawis that I see moving as well. Peacocks have become the most popular bought, sold and bred Malawi, followed by Cynotilapia and Lethrinops.

We do not do BAP on ECC, but here the person in charge of BAP is Sarah (Longstocking), and she probably has the finger on the pulse of what is BAP'ing here.

My assumption as to why Westies are so strong over in the Milwaukee area might be because of Ted Judy...ya think?

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Hey there Andy

For those of you that remember, Andy was one of the 4 guys that worked for TFP and used to drive down to meetings. He is now the President of the Milwaukee club that is hosting the ACA this coming year.

Andy, watching the auctions it seems to be a decent mix of things. We don't see a lot of westies but most every thing else. The Daphnia cowherdi is still a big seller. lol

Thanks for all the feedback. Tanganyikans seem to have lost a lot of their popularity around here. Very few show up in the auctions and swaps. Ted and Jeff definitely are responsible for a lot of the westies showing up. I guess I am responsible for the geophagus although I have been getting my newest ones from Jeff. I think I am the only one with Red fin Lethrinops right now. Some unusual fish that we have been passing around are the Red Ceibal chanchitos, Metriaclima patricki (Pat Kelly you should get some of these. They share your name after all!), and lots of bristlenose plecos. Seems everyone is breeding them.

I wasn't looking for anything in particular. I was just curious to see if the fish that were popular here right now were the same as back east that's all.

Thanks for all the feedback. See you all in July!
Andy

fischfan13

Banned
Andy, there seem to be two types of Red Cap Lethrinops going around.
The first is from Chirwa...those are the Red Caps that I bred.
The second is from Itungi, but those are the group that some believe will be reclassified as Tramitichromis.
Some of the absolutely beautiful Itungi that were/are in the NJ/NY area were bred by the legendary Larry Jinks. Larry has now moved on to greener and warmer pastures in South Carolina.
The Chirwa that I am breeding came from Old World...and are spectacular.

It seems that Dave Schumacher is carrying some of the really pretty and hard to find Lethrinops, including the Mbawa Black Fin.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I welcome the addition of westies to the auction. If someone brings their pematochromis nigrofasciatus, I will bring my wallet.

longstocking

Members
Andy.... just my view point. At aquafest a couple months ago you could clearly see this area is going more towards central and south american cichlids. All things go in cycles in my opinion and it's time for the new world guys in this area. No, I don't keep them... lol.... still keep tangs and plecos.

We have a new interest in inverts through out the club though :)

I would love to see more westies in this area as I think most of the area's water to perfect for them ! Also because of all the cool new fish coming out of there... or at least a few.

maddog10

Members
Since I am always AHEAD of the curve, Tangs will be making a strong comeback in this area (right after I get rid of mine). That is what happened with the CA/SA market. :D

We still have a pretty diverse market, a little bit of everything. CA/SA fish are the ones that generate the most interest, but with spawns of 800-1000 fish it won't be long until the market has all they can stand :angel2:

dogofwar

CCA Members
I tend to keep the same stuff I've always liked - medium sized new world - they come "in" and "out" but I've still got them. I think a lot of folks in the club are like that. Perfect example is frank c who won aquafest with a platy line he's been working since 93-ish..,

so far I think our club has also stayed out of bap point hysteria: grinding through lots of fish for the points.

Matt

Jumbie

Members
I like all cihlids but I have to say I have always been a little partial to New World cichlids.

I don't know which Red Cap Lethrinops I have. The location was not on the auction bag.

Shame you are not here Andrew. I can't give away Pelmatochromis nigrofasciatus. I sold my breeders to Jeff Michels some time ago but I still have dozens of 1-2" juvies that I don't know what to do with. I will probably hold on to them until the ACA and try to sell them there.

Gymnogeophagus are my new passion and I have slowly been collecting groups of them. Although right now they are all in cool down phase and not breeding.
Andy

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I don't know which Red Cap Lethrinops I have. The location was not on the auction bag.

Shame you are not here Andrew. I can't give away Pelmatochromis nigrofasciatus. I sold my breeders to Jeff Michels some time ago but I still have dozens of 1-2" juvies that I don't know what to do with. I will probably hold on to them until the ACA and try to sell them there.

Gymnogeophagus are my new passion and I have slowly been collecting groups of them. Although right now they are all in cool down phase and not breeding.
Andy

Andy, what size were your Pelmatochromis nigrofaciatus when they started breeding. I have some at around 4 - 5 inches right now. They are only in a 33 gallon tank right now.
I also have a group of the Red Cap Lethrinops growing out. They came from Larry also. I say growing out but one female has held a couple times.