• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What are your top 5 New World Cichlids?

MHMoro

CCA Members
Discus
Angel fish (Pterophyllum sp)
Green terror
EBJD
Severum

I am shock :eek: that almost no one included angel fish (or discus) on their lists. They are some of the most beautiful tropical fish.

Manuel

verbal

CCA Members
1. Strawberry apistos
2. Angels
3. Green Terror
4. Red Breast Acara(haven't kept, but been very tempted)
5. Firemouth

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Tony,

The Fosso doesn't count. C'mon buddy, you of all people......

Or was that a joke to see if everybody is paying attention...........:lol:

;)

Figured I'd toss my favorite African a mention.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
Thanks for the heads up on the bifa's. Never heard them called a 2 Stripe before.
DITTO...AND I HAVE ONE :D. JUST GOES TO SHOW THAT YOU LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERY DAY.

P.S. FOUL ON THE VP FOR MIS REPRESENTATION OF FISH :D. ANY MORE ANTICS LIKE THAT MAY COST YOU WINGS, BEER, AND DANCING GIRLS. :D

marge618

CCA member
(Tony: Fossochromis rostratus :wink: Had a bit of fun looking up your Hap. )
I chose 3 CA and 3 SA:

CA
Jack Dempsey
Thorichthys (Meeki and Passiones)

SA
Severum (Rotkeil)
Angel Fish
Chanchitos

What does a Phillipine blue angel look like? I want to see.

Tony -- Sorry about the discord among the rainbows. When my little 'uns get bigger you can swap for one of those girlies if you like.

rich_one

Members
Tough time, but:

1. Festae
2. Lyonsi
3. Zonatum
4. Hartwegi
5. Bocourti

This list is constantly subject to change! LOL...

-Rich

verbal

CCA Members
Tough time, but:

1. Festae
2. Lyonsi
3. Zonatum
4. Hartwegi
5. Bocourti

This list is constantly subject to change! LOL...

-Rich

Yeah I know what you mean, about the list changing constantly. Even though I don't think I have the skills to keep them, I think Uarus are on my top 5 new world list somewhere.

Sonny Disposition

New world? That lets out Labeotropheus trewevassae.

OK. Here goes:

Gymnogeophagus rhabdotus. Doesn't get too big. Lots of red (I like red) Fairly peaceful. Keeps the sand agitated so the dirt goes to the filter intake.

Nandopsis salvini. MEAN, MEAN, MEAN. I know. But they're so colorful. Lots of red (I said I like red) bright yellow, and blue, too, when they're spawning. Which is when they'll murder everything in your tank, and eventually, each other. They have teeth, too.

Black acara (Cichlasoma bimaculatum). Not flashy, I know. A great fish for color blind people. But peaceful, friendly, with lots of personality. They swim with such an easy grace that it's fun to watch them. I'm sorry now that I put mine up for auction. Maybe I'll get some more if I ever get back down to Florida.

Altum angel fish. I've never kept them, but the few I've seen have been so beautiful, graceful and stately, I don't see how any hobbyist could keep from longing for them.

Discus. They like it too warm for my setup, but they have such a slow moving charm, discriminating intelligence, and easy grace that I'll always like them.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
We were limited to five. Peruvian " altum " and wild silver angels would be in my top ten.
Of course you realize there is no such thing as a Peruvian Altum. Peruvians are true sales people and not above "borowing" Brazilian names. The wild Peruvian Angels are gorgeous but in no respect are they Altums, just nice Scalare.

I am inclined to just go 100% with Bob. He thinks these things out and has good taste. I have kept all but two of them and never kept Altums just because of the price.

I would toss in an Apisto but there are so many nice ones that I would be hard pressed to single one out.

I just hope this little poll does not ever limit any of you to just 5. In truth my favorite Cichlid is the new one that I have never kept before and just put in my 75. Preferably it was wild caught by me or a friend on our last collecting trip.

George

BevN

Members
It's hard to pick just 5 but here are my favs.

1) Uaru Fernandezyepzi - It took me over 20 years to get a group of these...hoping to be lucky enough to get a pair out of my group of 6. Beautiful fish with a temperment suited to the altums and discus. They are my holy grail of fish.

2) Altum angels - Beautiful fish and initially challenging but hardy after being acclimated well.

3) Discus - I prefer the wild caught ones...tough fish and don't have a problem holding their own against the previous two.

4) Apistos - too many to narrow it down to just one. Love the colors and parenting behavior.

5) Rams - love their antics. One of the most fun tanks I've ever had was a 75 filled with about 200 rams growing out in various sizes. They were spawning in every corner and rock in the tank...made for a very active and interesting tank.

I have one other but since it doesn't have a name yet (unidentified acara) I couldn't name that one. :unsure:

Mikeinco

Members
Biotodoma cupido (stunning with a good temperament)
A. macmasteri/vijieta (arguably the most ostentatious dwarfs)
G. altifrons (huge, striking and mild-mannered)
A.oblongum (really remarkable color shifts and pretty mellow)
Guianacara spenozona (not as striking as the others but extremely docile)

Hard not to have discus and angelfish on this list by default, especially Philippine blue veil angels which I just might rate as the most stunning species in the hobby.

I've pretty much given up out on large snarky fish at least until such time as I have more and larger tanks. Am all for "dynamic equilibrium" but have enough drama and tension in my life as is, little cause to manufacture or bring more more into my not altogether tranquil existence.

Each to thine own.

I agree with you on the philippine Blues. I have a group and they only get better and better color wise. Now my favorites

Herichthys Pearsi
Gymnogeophagus Balzani
Heros Severum (all of them)
Satanpercna Daemon
Vieja Argentea (probably a different name now)