• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What are these little critters?

mchambers

Former CCA member
I was moving some Corydoras (I think CW014) fry today out of their little container into a real aquarium with other fry. I put them in a specimen box and took some pictures and a video, and noticed little things moving around in the water. I've been feeding the fry banana, walter, and micro worms, in addition to golden pearls and decap BBS. Any idea what these things are? They certainly aren't hurting the fry.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Yep, easy to identify. Cyclops are fast, so I think fry have a hard time catching them unless they stop right in front of the fry. But eventually the fry get faster or is it more intelligent. Cyclops tend to show up in any old water (tank or culture) so maybe their eggs are coming in with fish food.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I've actually been feeding my fry freeze-dried cyclops. Maybe eggs that survived freeze drying? Or maybe they came in on plants?

chriscoli

Administrator
probably came in on the plants, but maybe on the food. I don't know how if they form a cyst and how tough it is.