• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What are these four??

secuono

Members
Anyone can help me figure out what these guys are?

Cobalt blue?
a4.jpg

I have 4 of them, I knew what they were before, but forgot...Pure bred, though.
a3.jpg

He turns a nice flat blue when going up into the group of other fish to eat, when protecting his cave, lighter w/stripes.
1a.jpg

This little guy is black and gets stripes. He was hatched with yellow/orange siblings, one with a brown spot on the head. Mixes, I'm sure.
a2.jpg

toddnbecka

Members
Ooh ooh, I know, they're MBUNA. :p
Beyond that I have no more clue than you do though, sorry. :blush:
Occasionally I have an irresistable urge to be a smart***

WendyFish

Members
I have one of the fishes in your second photo. The way you desrcibe the color changes is the exact same as mine. Like you, I did not know what it was for some time.

As far as I've been able to work out since, it's common name is red top zebra. Once upon a time it's scientific name was pseudotropheus zebra, and sometimes they are still called that. However they were reclassed into metriaclima at some point and there are a few red top metriaclima species depending on the collection point. Which, for a fish some large number of generations down the road, we will probably never know.

The large male that I have is my first fish, he a great looking fish and it looks like yours is too. He's the dominant fish in my larger mbuna tank, and he's kind of the benevolent dictator. No messing around on his watch, he's the sheriff.

If anyone knows differently, please chime in. I've had to cobble my understanding together over time.

WendyFish

Members
Stupid iPad making its into it's...

Btw I think the second and third are just slightly different color morphs of the red top. You can see the similarity in the body shape and the mouth, as well as the resemblance to metriaclima (like red zebras).

fischfan13

Banned
The unfortunate answer that you will get from many of us is..."I have no idea".
What were they sold to you as?
They could be hybrids.
They could be colored down <fill in the blank>.
They could be female <fill in the blank>.

Buy Ad Konings Malawi Cichlids in their Natural Habitat 4th Edition...it's a good read.

WendyFish

Members
What makes you so sure?

Red top zebra is also a purebred fish, it's just kind of in a weird species crossroads as far as I can figure. Humans changing the definition from one pseudotropeus species to a few metriaclima species doesn't make it a hybrid.

Buckcich

Members
The OP claims to be a "purebred". If so, shouldn't be asking for ID.
The species name AND collection point SHOULD be known, to claim it as a "purebred".
Therefore................. I sincerely doubt it's a "purebred" ( because you DON'T know its provenance)

I find it ironic and downright annoying when I see these kind of posts.
If you didn't care to find out what species of fish it was when originally purchased, WHY ask the forum members to try to guess what have you bought. I strongly suggest to go back to the seller and ask HIM!

Wendy, there's several locations where "Red Top Zebras" are collected in the lake. In the 70's and 80's (and it still goes on nowadays) it wasn't unusual to bunch together all the so called Red Top Zebras locations and breed them together as one species. We now know that even thought they are morphologically similar they belong to different species, which makes most of the Florida farms and Southeast Asia farms products, what they call a "Red Top Zebra", simply a mutt!

BTW I have never heard of a fish species been called a PUREBRED! Maybe in chicken talk, not in fish talk

Once again:
Can the OP explain why it claim as a "purebred". Thank you.

Last edited:

hydrodmg

Members
Take it easy guys. Lets choose the correct path for this one.

If you bought the fish from a pet smart or a pet co they are most likely a hybrid if they told you it was a zebra. You may never know for sure. If you think they are cool fish to look at then keep em. Not worth breeding not knowing what they are IMHO. Just chalk this one up as a learning experience. Know the person and or place that you buy fish from to have great stock.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

secuono

Members
I already said I forgot what the card said it was. Not everyone can read a long scientific name once and memorize it! If a fish cannot be 'purebred' then why do so many people freak out over 'mutt, mix, hybrid' fish? What else will it be??