• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Welcome To Capitalcichlids.org Sells Puppies

marge618

CCA member
The night of Tuesday Nov 6 I tried to log on to the CCA website and got the following

"Welcome to capitalcichlids.org"
It was a site for pet related links like "Puppies for Sale".
Going to Google for the CCA site still took me to the same sponsors listings and related links.

This afternoon the CCA site works just fine. ?????
Nothing has changed on my end... Do phantom sites just edge their way into our club site?

Marge

Hmmm. Sounds like a worm is working it's way into the system. Perhaps spam picked up through another members site and brought here. I'm no geek, but I know this stuff happens. :sign0073:

mscichlid

Founder
There is definantly a problem. I think the domain has been hacked to tell you the truth. However, not everyone is having the same problem; that we know of, anyway. I'm having similar problems at work. Either I can't connect or I get that stupid ad with the stupid woman smiling at me. It's a redirect to get hits for that ad. Everytime you get it somebody is getting paid. Try connecting to the webpage and forum without the 'www' before capitalcichlids.org. I'm working on trying to alleviate the problem. Our IT unit is like a deer in headlights trying to figure it out.

If you look through your temporary internet files you will find nuseek cookies associated with the page that appears. Run your spyware and virus protection in safe mode. Disconnnect your computer from the internet when you do this.

Delete all your temporary internet files after every session on the web anyway. Run your antivirus and spyware everyday.

It's a mad, mad, mad world out there.

cyradis4

Members
I got the source code for that page sent to Ron, but don't know if they've figured out how to get rid of it yet. I have started having the problem at work and at school. But get this, both of those computers are connected to huge systems. My home computer has had no problems whatsoever. And I"ve been having issues from school for a long time now.

And removing the www only works (for me) for the first page. Then it comes back, and I can't get logged on.

Later!
Amanda.

animicrazy

Members
Additional data would help: Browser type; operating system; networked or a standalone system; all can make a difference. I have had no such problems - but my computer has many layers of security, most people either do not or don't know how to use the stuff. I am continually amazed at the crud on people's machines that they bring me to fix - and the complete lack of Any security whatsoever.

Having a computer hooked to the internet without GOOD security is more dangerous then a walk down north Avenue at night.

marge618

CCA member
Additional data would help: Browser type; operating system; networked or a standalone system; all can make a difference. I have had no such problems - but my computer has many layers of security, most people either do not or don't know how to use the stuff. I am continually amazed at the crud on people's machines that they bring me to fix - and the complete lack of Any security whatsoever.

Having a computer hooked to the internet without GOOD security is more dangerous then a walk down north Avenue at night.[/b]

Sooooo? Now it works... but the pattern is that I can expect to get redirect to the blond girl selling puppies this evening around 5 PM. :scared0016: I have never seen anything like this redirect business on my computers... either at home, work, or at the public library. If it only happens associated with CCA .. and all of the other places I go don't have the problem...could I now be a 'carrier' and take their badstuff with me everytime I send an email.... or is it just if I copy and send CCA stuff? (Meanwhile.. I will check on how to deal with the nasty cookies :FIREdevil:
Thanks,
Marge

longstocking

Members
I haven't had any of these problems. Probably because I let Bill set up my security LOL.... then he tells me don't down load anything. Other than pictures from freinds and family etc. I don't and my computer works great. I only download something if I know 100% it won't mess up my computer.... and if I question it even a little bit... I either wait till he gets home or I just forget about it.

cyradis4

Members
OMG!!!! It let me on from school today for the first time in.... FOREVER!!!!!

How about you guys?

Later!
Amanda.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Shhhhhh. Don't wake it. lol

I have been okay here at work for the last few days. Not sure why.

I have not had any problems with the site at all. Guess I miss the excitement because I leave myself logged in pretty much all the time. Here's hoping it stays that way.

Rob