• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Welcome Chris Todd

chris_todd

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pat Kelly @ Sep 25 2008, 07:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Welcome to the forum as a user Chris Todd[/b]

Thanks! I'm re-entering the hobby I first became obsessed with when I was in grad school in Pittsburgh. The precipitating event was when a friend who travels a lot had an air hose disconnect from his pump, and by the time he got back, his 65 gallon tank had only 10 gallons. So we picked up the tank, equipment, and fish (all of whom survived, suprisingly enough). About 10 guppies (mostly female), four swordtails (one male), two rainbox sharks (the smaller of the two needs to be moved to a tank of his own), and a big pleco (about 9-10", not counting tail fin).

The biological filter appears also to have survived the tank move, as our nitrites and ammonia have been zero ever since moving the tank to our house and setting it up.

I would eventually like to get some angelfish for this tank, so I figured CCA would be the place to come to learn! :) I also have a 20g and a 10g from my previous experience that have not (yet) been setup and cycled.

I'm wondering about tap water conditions in the Baltimore area (I live in Catonsville), as our tap water seems to fluctuate between pH 7.8 and 8, with about 10 ppm Nitrates :eek: , and moderately hard (8 dGH, 4 dKH), 40 ppm Ca, and 0.25 ppm Phosphate. No detectable copper. Are these water conditions typical for the DC/Baltimore area? I don't have test kits for chlorine or chloramine (where can you get those?); does anyone know whether the Baltimore county water has chloramines in it, or just chlorine?

marge618

CCA member
Hello Chris Todd,
Welcome to the forum. :happy0144:
I too live in Catonsville.
You are so right about CCA. The place to learn about cichlids!

Paul and Amanda live near not too far from me and keep many angelfish. I am sure that once they find this post they will fill you in on Baltimore City water.

Looking forward to more of your posts.