• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Welcome Cholile

cholile

Members
Thanks.

I have one show tank and a quarantine tank. The show tank is a predominantly male tank and mostly filled with haps. Most of the information on this tank can be seen at cichlid forum in the "your tank" section.

I bought the tank over the summer. Despite doing what I thought was a fair amount of research online (if only I had found cichlid forum and/or this site) and reading a few books in retrospect I really did not know enough to make the right decisions. So I spent more than I should have and got less for it than I should have. In addition, there were some tough times at the beginning but thankfully I stuck with it and have learned a tremendous amount over the past eight months (though I still consider myself, at best, an advanced beginner).

While it may be years instead of months, I do ultimately dream of having an large tank, at least 300 gallons, built into a dry wall, with two smaller tanks built in to a side wall (picture an L shaped dry wall built in the corner of a room with two permanent walls) and the fish room for all the maintenance, quarantine tanks etc. behind the wall. I've pretty much got my stock list now all I need is the room and money to do it!

In the meantime I have more modest goals of continuing to learn and, from time to time, perhaps adding/replacing a fish a two to my tank (at the moment I'm hoping to get an eel or two).

I wish I could attend the meeting, but unfortunately Saturdays are no good for me. Hopefully I'll hear about an event or auction on another day in the area that I can attend.

animicrazy

Members
Don't fret; I have 5 - 7k g's worth of tanks and 1g worth of knowledge!! :smashfreakB:

Sometimes you pay too much for too little & sometimes you pay too little for too much - all learning has a cost!!

T.M.S.

marge618

CCA member
Welcome to the CCA forum Cholile! :sign0201: You will find this a great group of folks. Soon to become fast friends of yours I predict. You can ask your questions here and never feel that you are imposing. One of the winning characteristics of CCA folks is that they WANT to help you learn about the fish.

I am looking forward to talking to you at one of the CCA events soon.
Later,
Marge

cholile

Members
thanks everybody. not sure where the right place to ask this is, but does anyone know of any local breeders of african cichlids?

maddog10

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cholile @ Apr 6 2008, 12:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
thanks everybody. not sure where the right place to ask this is, but does anyone know of any local breeders of african cichlids?[/b]

At least half the club breeds fish. I would suggest you go to the Trader section and scan through some of the ads. If you are looking for a particular fish post a WTB or WTT ad.

cholile

Members
thanks maddog. i meant a commercial breeder (at least i think that's what i meant). i've heard that often breeders have a wider selection of higher quality fish at very competitive prices so i wondered if any such places existed in this area. sorry for not being clear (or, as it may turn out, for being confused).

cyradis4

Members
Not sure, but I think you mean Club quality, ie fish that are superior in quality to that you find in most pet stores. The commercial breeders are probably the big fish farms down in Florida, and while some are quite good, some are quite bad, and due to the size of the farms they have much less contact / control over the fish then a hobbiest. I'd get fish from a hobbiest breeder long before I would go to a lot of pet stores or fish farms. Also, there are different levels of hobbiests. I have about 30+ tanks and do a lot of breeding. Sarah (longstockings), Mike (maddog10), Pat, and a bunch of others also do a lot of breeding and some have even more tanks then I do! And there are also a lot of people in the club who only have a few tanks. And there are people who specialize on one type of fish or another, and others that tend to migrate. Ie, I think Sarah mentioned that she started with Lake Malawi Africans and moved on to Tangs, and Submariner much prefers Peacocks and has a whole bunch of really nice Red Empresses. I prefer Westie dwarfs, South American dwarfs, Angels, Discus, and Mbuna.

Later!
Amanda.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cholile @ Apr 6 2008, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
thanks maddog. i meant a commercial breeder (at least i think that's what i meant). i've heard that often breeders have a wider selection of higher quality fish at very competitive prices so i wondered if any such places existed in this area. sorry for not being clear (or, as it may turn out, for being confused).[/b]

cholile

Members
thanks for clarifying. not surprisingly maddog knew what i was asking while i didn't even know what i was asking!

nothing in particular, other than an elipsifer eel (which i posted in the trader section), that i'm interested in at the moment. i just asked since i enjoy looking around the stores and since i've seen all the LFS and i've heard people reference breeders all the time on cichlid-forum i figured i'd see if any such 'stores' existed around here.