• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Water transfer pump for water changes

Marz

Administrator
Staff member
I am thinking about buying this pump for water changes. Has anyone used this or something similar? I have a couple of questions if you did.

Q1. Looks like this pump has to be primed EVERY time, which is not ideal. Are there other self-priming options?
Q2. Isn't 330 GPH too much of a suction for small 10 to 20 g tanks with small fish?

This is the pump:

https://www.amazon.com/SumpMarine-1...615GC/ref=sr_1_281?crid=L815ZU7TTDDN&dchild=1

71SoCpWBsoL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Thanks

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Way too big for a small tank. Too fast a flow will suck out a lot of stuff you do not want to remove.
I recommend a trashcan on wheels into which you can siphon using normal procedures to clean an aquarium. You can use most any pump to which you can attach a hose to pump out the trashcan to the commode or sink or out the door. Any pump will work but I recommend a pump that is rated for 1200 to 2000 gallons per hour. You can also buy plastic hand clamps to make sure the end of the hose stays in the sink or where ever you put it. Siphoning into the trashcan is sometimes too fast because the siphon hose is relatively short and can remove gravel and sand or plants unless you use the Python large diameter attachment on the tank side.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Actually you can even use a 5 gallon bucket as long as you get a pump that fits. Most pumps will. Use a sponge on the pump intake.

Marz

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Frank,

That’s what I’m doing now, a 5g bucket with pump in that that I carry from tank to tank. The pump moves the water to the drain in laundry room. That works okay but only for the tanks on the rack. Those at the bottom are a pain. I was thinking maybe I can use this transfer pump for everything, but looks like this is not an option either.

btw, the hillstream loaches are doing great!

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Can you raise the tank? All you need is for the bottom of the tank to be about 8 inches off the floor for the siphon to work into a 5 gallon bucket. Higher can make water changes a bit faster.