• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Water Change Question

TMSB805

Members
Sooooo here's my situation. In april i'll be going out of town for 6 weeks leaving only my wife to tend to my tanks (6 in total; 300g,90g,75, 2 40b, and a 10). Problem is she wants no part in doing any water changes while i'm gone. She actually told me i should get rid of all my fish and buy new ones when i get back. That's pretty much when i ended the conversation..lol. My question is, what's the longest you guys think i could go without doing any water changes? I plan to have the wife only feed very little once a week to try and cut down on waste.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Depends

Cutting down on feeding is key. If your filtration is up to speed and the tanks aren't overstocked should be OK unless you're dealing with sensitive species. Fatten them up and then do massive water changes right before you leave, hope for the best.

TMSB805

Members
Pretty much what i was thinking. I even debating having her only feed them once every two weeks. All of the tanks have at least a 2x turnover rate so i should be ok in that department. All my fish are fairly hardy CAs. Probably the most sensitive would be my Lentiginosus, which are really my main concern. At the end of the day, you're right though..."hope for the best"

verbal

CCA Members
You might check and see if an Aquarium maintenance company will do a one time visit in the middle of your absence. With light feedings 3 weeks between water changes should be ok.

TMSB805

Members
I'd say my tanks are under stocked for the most part. I've got large swords in all but the 90, 75, and 10. It did cross my mind to dump in a bunch of water sprite before i left. Good idea?

dogofwar

CCA Members
You'll be OK for 6 weeks. Just have her feed a couple of times per week, dial back the temp and fatten them up, clean the filters and do lots of water changes before you go.

A good thing to do would be to add a good-sized piece of Polyfilter and stick a few pieces of Pothos (terrestrial spider plant) to each tank as well.

Matt

mchambers

Former CCA member
Agreed. Maybe some CCA member who lives near you will volunteer to do a water change three weeks in.

I think adding water sprite would or another easy to grow floating plant, such as guppy grass, would be a good idea, but would do it a few weeks before you go, just in case the plant doesn't thrive.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Pothos are great because they're terrestrial (you just stick the roots in the tank) and can grow in just about any amount of light (albeit faster in more light).

They're ammonia / nitrate sponges...

Even I can grow them ;)

Matt

TMSB805

Members
Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I'm gonna give the pothos a shot. I'll probably start prepping the tanks for my departure after aquamania. So I'm assuming I can pick up pothos at any lawn and garden store?

ezrk

Members
Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I'm gonna give the pothos a shot. I'll probably start prepping the tanks for my departure after aquamania. So I'm assuming I can pick up pothos at any lawn and garden store?

I just bought some at Home Depot for like $14 for a big pot of it.