• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Wasting Julidochromis

LaurenH

Members
I have a year-old female Julidochromis marlieri who had been thriving for the past 9 months I've had her, including breeding and producing many viable offspring. Lately I've seen her be chased by a smaller male juli until her mate kicks him out of the territory, but that started after her weight loss.

For the past 2 weeks, she has stopped eating and is becoming emaciated. My water quality has been good with low nitrate as well (consistently under 20, often better than that.) I've done weekly water changes, I've added aquarium salts, all to no avail. She will eat 1-2 flakes of AquaDine (her usual food,) and 3-4 frozen brine shrimp during a feeding session and no more. Most everything she takes in she spits out.

Any advice? She was the only female in my original group trying to find a breeding pair!

Does sound like parasites except that usually before they stop eating they eat more to try to compensate the loss. Also there are usually some side effects like heavy breathing or gasping for air at the surface. The tetra stuff is a matronidazole, praziquantel, and acriflavine cocktail and its the cheapest. If you can't find it there are several other brands with the same active ingredients.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

LaurenH

Members
Does anyone know of any diagnostics available for fish? Or a really detailed fish (especially cichlid) health book? As a veterinarian, I feel this overwhelming need to diagnose before treating, although for this fish I'll just start shotgunning treatments for lack of time...

I have 250mg metronidazole tablets at home as well as praziquantel liquid. Anyone know a dose for the metro?

will send out dosage when I get home. I have them on a slip of paper beside by gram scales. Depending on parasite, they may, or not, stop eating. Some clog up the lower GI to the point where they can not eat even though they want to

I use 100-150 mg per 10 gallon, metro is generally a safe medication and I've read up to 200+mg is safe. This dosage is for 100% metro powder if your product isn't 100% dosage may need to be adjusted. I will also be waiting for dougs input as his experience far surpases mine but if you want to dose immediately this is a safe bet.
Doug do you have dosage info for kanamycin and nitrofuron?

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ooops, forgot get back back on this.

I do not have anything thing on Nitro, do not use it. Per my conversation with the Univ of Fla Tropical Fish Aquaculture dept this is what I have for all my drugs:

Erithromycin 2.6grams per 10g
Furan2 2.6g/10g
Metro 250mg/10g
prazi 100mg/10g
levamisole 76mg/10g --- although inkmkr that sells this says 500mg but that dosage also freaks out fish and outright kills some. You pick, a university aquacult dept or someone selling this as a side biz for laserprinter toner carts?
Kanamycin 350mg/10g

I would probably start with a metro since that requires a water change and redose daily then go to a fenbendazole/parzi cocktail after that. If there are critters in her gut, they will be long gone after that. You could try food, but most of the drugs laced in food want the fish still eating vigorously.