• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Washington Post Date Lab

mchambers

Former CCA member
This week's Date Lab involves a first date where the guy tells his date about his fishkeeping, uh, obsession:

"Amy: We talked about his weird obsession with fish — owning and collecting, not eating. He has a fish expo to go to over the weekend. I didn’t know what questions to ask about that! [Laughs.] We both enjoy going to [concerts] but don’t have the same musical tastes at all."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...718068-6c68-11e5-b31c-d80d62b53e28_story.html

So, for those of you on the dating scene, do you mention your fishkeeping on a first date?

(By the way, sounds like they had a nice first date. And thanks to my wife for noticing the article.)

mchambers

Former CCA member
It's something for people who don't have a horse, multiple aquariums, and multiple dogs, I guess.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Dating is a part of the human mating process whereby two people meet socially for companionship, beyond the level of friendship, or with the aim of each assessing the other's suitability as a partner in an intimate relationship or marriage. Wikipedia

Let me put it horse terms
A mare in heat may actively seek out and attempt to stay in the vicinity of a stallion. (Women go to watering holes in their best come hither dress and find a man or vice versa)
During the peak of estrus, the mare may sniff, lick, or nuzzle the stallion.
(They flirt to get a man to notice them and engage in conversation) A mare in heat will also urinate frequently, particularly if a stallion is teasing her to test her receptiveness. (Goes to the bathroom frequently with other girls, most likely from the same group )
The classic behavioral display of the stallion when it checks a mare is to lift its nose into the air and curl his upper lip. (The guy lifts his head and tries to make himself look more dominant keeping an upright posture and eyes locked on the soon to be "mate" aka girlfriend etc) This is called the Flehmen response. The stallion will often be impatient, alert, hyperactive, and restless. (No translation here)
Vocalization is common. The stallion will frequently nudge the mare, apparently to signal readiness and to assess her firm stance response. In addition to nudges, some stallions may smell and bite over the mares body. (Diner and conversation after a few encounters, the guy may make physical contact such as arm around the shoulder or hand holding...you get the rest)
Humans do this multiple times resulting in "dating"

lol sorry just had to. Hope you guys get a good laugh

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Becca

Members
So.... Does anyone recognize this guy? Shouldn't at least one of us have seen him at some fish club meeting or another???

Jt731

Members
My previous gf referred to you all collectively as the creepy fish people. I do not mention it on the first date. Mainly, because I have 3 young kids which I have discovered most often results in no chance for a relationship. So generally speaking the first date is ensuring they read my profile, understand what it means and how my schedule works with custody.

But with 12 tanks and a two bedroom apartment, post the first date either through texting/messaging or during the second date I mention the tanks and kind of make sure they are prepared before the first visit.

chriscoli

Administrator
I married before the fish hobby exploded (again) so he had no idea it was part of the deal. Poor Bruce!

dankdabe

Members
It's Me!

I'm glad yall enjoyed the article. the "big fish expo" she mentioned in the interview was our October meeting. She asked me something about hobbies and of course I brought up that I'm an afishionado. Fun times.

YSS

Members
I'm glad yall enjoyed the article. the "big fish expo" she mentioned in the interview was our October meeting. She asked me something about hobbies and of course I brought up that I'm an afishionado. Fun times.

Very cool. Hope the relationship progress from friendly to romantic, that is if that's what you want. :)

Becca

Members

If she thinks that's an expo...