• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Wantin to add more to my 55g

KJacks

Members
Ok i currently have a 55g with africans in it . I have had them about 3mths wanted to add more while they are still younger but i really keep second guessing or jist dont know if my choices will work. I would like some others opinions a i have had a couple different takes on it

Currently stocked
5 yellow labs , 4 (1m3f) p. Nyererei ruti island , 2 synodontis lucipinnis (dwarf petricola), 1 cynotilipia zebroid nkhata bay yellow blaze, 1 paralabidochromis chromogynos , 1 alto. compressicep red fin ..

I had 1 suggest i stick to mildly aggressive which is what mine are all labeled .. new fish suggested was ob peacock , alto. compressicep zebra or black calvus ..

Then had someone suggest i need more aggressive like kenyi , bumble bee n such..

What do yall think any suggestions is greatly appreciated im torn bc i just want whats best for my tank

Sent from my LG-P925 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fischfan13

Banned
Ok i currently have a 55g with africans in it . I have had them about 3mths wanted to add more while they are still younger but i really keep second guessing or jist dont know if my choices will work. I would like some others opinions a i have had a couple different takes on it

Currently stocked
5 yellow labs , 4 (1m3f) p. Nyererei ruti island , 2 synodontis lucipinnis (dwarf petricola), 1 cynotilipia zebroid nkhata bay yellow blaze, 1 paralabidochromis chromogynos , 1 alto. compressicep red fin ..

I had 1 suggest i stick to mildly aggressive which is what mine are all labeled .. new fish suggested was ob peacock , alto. compressicep zebra or black calvus ..

Then had someone suggest i need more aggressive like kenyi , bumble bee n such..

What do yall think any suggestions is greatly appreciated im torn bc i just want whats best for my tank

First thing that worries me is the Quad of Pundamilia nyererei and a single Paralabidochromis. I would remove the Paralabidochromis as I would be worried about it mating with the Pundamilia.
One or more Cyno's might not work in the long run with the Vics...there might be a battle for caves and rocks.
An OB Peacock, IMO, is not the answer either.

A group of Peacocks, maybe a Stuartgranti Quad, might work.
Or a group of Iodotropheus sprengerae (Rusties) might be good too.
I would not go with over aggressive Mbuna.

KJacks

Members
I bought all my fish except the nyerereis from daves fish n did ask him if he thought it would b ok or if i should change something he said it would b fine. Although if things do get rough i have an empty 60g i can rehome some too ..

Just curious as to why the ob peacock wouldnt work .. i was told that it would work where other peacocks wouldnt bc of the nyerereis ..

verbal

CCA Members
Just curious as to why the ob peacock wouldnt work .. i was told that it would work where other peacocks wouldnt bc of the nyerereis ..

They vary quite a bit, but the personality of OB peacock tends to be more aggressive than most peacocks.

I also would suggest not adding more aggressive fish to your mix.

I'd probably add a few labs, as I think they look and do better is a bigger group. Same for the petricola. They are a school fish and in a 55 I'd have 5 or 6 at least.

A group of rusties is good.

A group of p. acei (yellow tail or white tail) would be nice.

If you're looking for a nice centerfold specimen, a male ruby red peacock is showy and not too aggressive. OBs are ugly IMHO and have unpredictable temperments

KJacks

Members
Well i was told by my friend the nyerereis in her tank have killed all the peacocks she has added. Then i do plan to add atleast 2 more petricolas bc i like them alot but was told 2 would b enough.. so glad i can add more.. i really dont like the labs they were for my husband.. i would have prefered a red top hongi or something like that or even the perlmutt but cant have them now. I want some more colors like a blue or purple .. i really like the ob but havent found one that isnt aggressive or to big .

KJacks

Members
Oh n also was told rusties breed with anything that swims .. is that true .. which i dont care for their coloring anyway but my husband liked them so im considering it

the acei are a nice blue/purple and a nice contrast to labs (I personally like labs; they are versatile and no problem in most any tank.)

acei.jpg

KJacks

Members
I think these could be a good choice.

Good ..lol those r what i picked prolly gonna get 4 r 5 thought they would look great with the labs n im tryin to rehome 1 female nyererei bc the others are kinda mean to her n i know itll prolly get worse the older they get

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Oh n also was told rusties breed with anything that swims .. is that true .. which i dont care for their coloring anyway but my husband liked them so im considering it

I've never heard that before. They're generally one fish considered different enough to add to tanks with multiple breeding groups of mbuna.

KJacks

Members
I've never heard that before. They're generally one fish considered different enough to add to tanks with multiple breeding groups of mbuna.

My friend told me he had 1 male in his tank n it bred with alot of his other females .. not sure which ones though.. n i know a friend of his had the same problem..

KJacks

Members
I bet they were.. I ordered 6 mainganos today should b here soon