• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Video of my cyathopharynx foai sibwesa male/holding female

Charlutz

Members
Just a warning, these are about the most boring featherfin breeding videos you'll ever see. I've bred boops and foai moliro and they were spectacular. I guess I learned something from the experience because the sibwesas bred at a really young age (1.5 years is my best guess) and small size (~3.5"). They are still very silver and the male has not grown his ventrals or tail extensions. The other fish in the tank are cyp jumbo specklebacks. The blue tailed male is coloring and the yellow tailed male is the sub. There are also a few lamp stappersi hovering around.

[YT]GMA7OmEGwJE[/YT]

[YT]o2dGVE8kTk4[/YT]

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Congrats on the holding female, Charlie. Have you bred these guys before? How big do the jumbo specklebacks get?

Love the large crated on the left end of the tank.

Charlutz

Members
First time for breeding the sibwesa. I've bred the moliros before, but they were much bigger when they bred. I thought she spit on the second day, but she's still holding. Very impressive for a first time breeder. the specklebacks are supposed to be jumbos, but they've stopped at about 4", or maybe their growth has just slowed down. I really love them. I have a few fry from them, but they haven't spawned as much as I'd hoped. I want to build that group up some more.

Tony

Nice! Congrats Charlie. Do you usually strip them or put mom aside in a breeder net to spit?

What's an optimum group size/ratio for different kinds of sifters? I have 1M/3F on the nasuta, but wish I had more.

Charlutz

Members
I typically strip, but since I've added some 10g's to my setup, have a little more ability to isolate the females and let them spit, so I might try that with her. I recently put one of the specklebacks in that tank with some ABN, comp and cyp fry. It's the tank directly next to the 75 where the cyps and foai are, so she could see the school. She still freaked out whenever I approached the tank. Just wasn't comfortable in there. As soon as she spit the fry I removed her. I liked that I didn't have to handle the fish, but isolation was not without its own stress.

I don't know that there's a single optimal ratio. I never got them to breed until I had 3m/1f, but since I was making lots of other mistakes, I don't think it was the ratio that mattered. The foai males aren't too hard on each other so you can get away with more males. Opthalmos are a little different. My male boops were always destructive. I now have them 1m/2f and all seems well, but it also means they aren't lighting up as much as they were with multiple males in the tank. I've got 1-2" fry with both groups that I'll add back in to expand the group's size. I guess common sense prevails. If you want to breed them and not deal with too much aggression, one male and lots of females, with maybe a spare male in a separate tank. If you want to watch the behavior and see them at their best and are prepared to deal with the occasional loss of a fish, go with more males.

Charlutz

Members
Booyah baby! Held just about a month and released 20 fry today! I've never had a first spawn featherfin hold to term. Usually it takes the moms at least 2 or 3 spawns before they hold until the fry are viable, at least for me. :jumpy: for my proud sibwesa parents. :happy: Mom is back in the 75g with the other adults. I guess I now get to refer to them as a breeding group! Sweet.

[YT]I1iOl9yS658[/YT]

Tony

NICE! Congrats dude!

If you can get some size on them, you should consider bringing a bag of them up to ECC in November.

Charlutz

Members
That would be a quick turnaround, but I am planning on bringing some other stuff to donate/sell. I need to get this girl ready to breed again so that hopefully I can get the male to color up some more. I'm pretty sure I have 1 male and 2 females. Not sure what the fourth fish is, but a second male with featherfins is good to keep the dominant male lit up. I'll be adding a few of these back into the group when they get bigger.