• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Veggie Cichlid food?

secuono

Members
I've been reading that my Mbuna should be eating algae and/or veggie based food w/low protein.
So, where do I buy food like this? I'm looking for flakes or sinking soft pellets, not hard or floating pellets. The lfs only has meat based and even the 'cichlid' brands arent veggie made.

On a side note, anyone know where I can get food for shrimp? Shrimplabs is no good. They have no food, just a bunch of weird and very very expensive 'minerals' 'powders' 'rocks' etc. None of it is food.

Help!

mscichlid

Founder
Most people use New Life Spectrum. There are very few foods that are veggie based. You could try Ken's Fish Food site. Even algae tabs don't cut the grade; albeit very few.

One way to get algae on rocks is to let a light run on a tank for 24 hrs or outside in a tank of water. You'll get algae.

But I don't want to get too far ahead of myself because I don't keep african cichlids.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
There are lots of fine products on the market.
I personally use New Life Spectrum for everything I throw in other items but
NLS has been in my room for years.

Yes, Yourfishstuff.com has it.
I got my last bucket from them.

Check out kensfish, he also has some good stuff. Each of the products have a break down of what kind of fish the food is best for.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Kens has a pretty good algae and meat wafer. HBH super soft spirulina pellet has spirulina as the first ingedient. Yourfishstuff carries it.