• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Vacation Ops for Kids...

mrkillie

Members
Any ideas? My daughter (9 yrs old) mentioned beach, and we go to Florida about once per year 'cause I have a place in Kissimmee, but I am thinking more of a different place for a family vacation-and Florida is AWFUL in the summer anyway-at least in those parks it is. EXTREME HEAT AND HUMIDITY UGGHHH! NEVER AGAIN!!!

I am not too worried about cost, cause I'll be using points for most of it. Two thoughts I had were Wisconsin Dells-not really a beachy place but the Waterpark Capitol of the World, as they say; and Virginia Beach-which is close enough to drive, which I like a lot (hate airports). I guess unless it's overseas, everywhere in close enough to drive, but if it's more than 8 hrs by car, we'll fly.

Any other thoughts? We'll probably go sometime in August.

my aunt lives in newport news virigina, my parents used to take us down there every year. we'd stop at luray caverns for awhile on the way down. We'd hit busch gardens, water country USA and virginia beach wasnt too far away either. There was some family time involved too but i think virginia beach will maybe a day trip to one of the parks wouldnt be a bad idea.

maddog10

Members
I like the Outer Banks in North Carolina. It is like most other beach resorts, except not as crowded. It is much more spread out.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
We've rented a house at Deep Creek Lake for a few years. The weather is perfect, there is a variety of outdoors stuff to do (hiking, swimming in the lake, etc.). Last year we rented a pontoon boat for the week and took that out every day. It was a really nice trip, and about half the cost of similar accomodations at the beach.

verbal

CCA Members
If you go to Virginia Beach, you may want to go to Williamsburg for part of your trip, between the two places there is a good variety of things to do.

If you like Waterparks, Williamsburg has Great Wolf Lodge and Water Country USA. There is a pass for Busch Gardens, Colonial Williamsburg and Water Country USA.

The aquarium in Virginia Beach is pretty good. It isn't the size of the Baltimore Aquarium, but it has some cool things.

mdlnewman

Members
Black Hills, SD grew up there
Mt Rushmore, Crazyhorse, Wind Cave, Custer State park, Lead/Deadwood, Wind Cave mountains, lakes what more could you want. Devils Tower is not too far a drive from there also

londonloco

Members
When I was a kid my parents took us to Mackinac Island in Michigan. It's an island in Lake Huron. Back in the 1800's it banned cars, so the only way around the island is by horse, carraige, bicycle or walking. I've always wanted to take the kids there, now the youngest is 15, not sure I could get them to enjoy it. It's worth a look, here's a website for it:

http://www.mackinacisland.org/

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Hey Joel, I know you don't like Airports, but have you thought of the Atlantis Bahama Resort? I heard that they have some awesome deals for families with kids and since the economy kind of sucks right now, they're offering some pretty good packages. Here is the website, http://www.atlantis.com

As for Virgina Beach, it's clean and friendly with lots of things to do. It's not as big as Ocean City, but it's small and intimate. Now remember, the Summer is going to be packed so you might have to book a hotel about 10 minutes away, but sometimes it's better that way cause you get a cleaner room and facility. The ones on the beach are usually a mess or dirty from all the beach people. There is a also a Water park near by and Bush Gardens is close too.

Good Luck,

Richard

longstocking

Members
I like the NC banks as well... great for the family... great for couples... great for shopping as well! Great food....

No down sides IMO.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Outer Banks

I'll vote for the Outer Banks, but add one downside: hurricane risk. It's a long drive off the Banks if there is an evacuation order. Probably at greatest risk in August.

chris_todd

Members
+1 on Colonial Williamsburg, we went there a couple of months back and my girls (then 10 and 5) actually enjoyed it. Easy drive, reasonably priced, Busch Gardens (which the girls loved, of course), and American History. Fun trip.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
The Dells is cool but soo touristy. If you got a tourism place (as in local chamber of commerce) in Wisconsin they could find you a nice cabin on a lake with a beach and fantastic fishing. Anyone who gave you something south of the Mason-Dixon line has no idea what you were talking about and very limited knowledge of the world.

Last year I went to the ACA in Milwaukee and then on to Wisconsin's Door County to visit my favorite in-laws. By the way, camping in Door County is top notch. We caught King Salmon in Sturgeon Bay and it was the most comfortable I was ALL last summer. When these folks are hot, it means it is 80. Go TO WISCONSIN. I promise you won't be sorry.

Catch me some Blue Gills.

George

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
We took several "truckster" style trips with the kids.
But with gas prices today???
One year we drove to Aspen to visit an uncle for a couple days. Then up into the big Y to see old faithful. Then we went to Mount Rushmore and Crazy horse before trucking back home. 5300 miles in 12 days. LOL Never again.

Another choice is a Staycation. Spend a day or two in Lancaster PA. Hit the Strasburg Railroad for the short ride. See the horse and buggies of the Amish. Check the Choo-Choo barn... its really old but age 9 she may like it. Yeah, its a touristy town but I only hit those items and I stay away from the route 30 stuff.
Well except for Dutch Wonderland. I know its an old amusement park but its made for kids of that age if I remember correctly. It has been a while since my kids were that young.

longstocking

Members
You know what.... Canada was also very nice. Fishing etc.... we took a trip up there last year in July to go diving. The thousand island area is stunning and the water is warm, 75 or so! Not too far.... it's just over the border.

The banks.. you need to worry about hurricanes usually later in the season with NC.... I used to spend my college summers there and never got hit if I went early enough.