• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

UV query

mscichlid

Founder
I am thinking about getting a UV sterilizer for my 120.

I don't understand the flow rate when it comes to wanting to eradicate bacteria, algae and parasites in the water column. The flow rate is much lower to be able to kill the parasites. The flow rate for algae and bacteria is much higher. I'm confused about how to get the one unit to kill all three.

Do I need two units rated for their appropriate uses or will one unit do the job? Are the flow rates adjustable on each unit. And if by setting the rate lower to kill parasites, will it in turn kill the bacteria and algae?

I don't know nothin' 'bout uv sterilizers. :)

Yes there are different flow rates that kill different things, there is no adjustment on the uv itself. You have to put a valve inline from your pump and install a flow meter. I have one on my 180 but Im going to take it off. All my other tanks are fine without one so personally I think its a waste. Id rather have the higher turn over rate from my pump then to turn it down to go thru the uv.

maddog10

Members
Its all about exposure baby!!

The longer the water is exposed to the UV, the more stuff that gets eradicated. If you had a sump, you could add an extra low flow pump to run the sterilizer and return the water back to the sump.

mscichlid

Founder
I want to make sure the tank is clean before adding other fish to it, figuring it would get possible nasties.

Don't have a sump; was looking at one of the hang on type.

Charlutz

Members
To get the flow rate you only need a very small pump or powerhead. Most of those have an adjustment. As Reel said, you'd need a flow meter to be sure you were dialed in correctly. I had great success using a UV on a salt water tank. It would eradicate saltwater ich overnight or in really bad cases maybe over 2-3 days. It was like magic. Fish was covered in ich, turn on the UV and the next morning they were substantially better and visibly happier and more energetic. They have value if used correctly. That said, I've got one for my FW tanks but rarely use it.

A flow meter connects to the pipe coming from your pump. Water comes out of your pump, thru a valve (for adjustments) into flow meter into uv then into tank. The valve let you adjust and the flow meter lets you know how much you need to adjust.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I use a turbo twist for bad ich outbreaks or the rare (for me) green water problem. I have it connected to a small marineland powerhead with the flow second to the lowest setting. I do not adjust the flow higher for green water. I just leave the sterilizer on the tank until the water is crystal clear. Then I run it for an additional day or to just in case.