• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Under Gravel Jets-Your Experience with them?

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
While I'm thinking about setting up the 180, I was pondering incorporating under grave jets using powerheads. May even plumb up the sump return so that a portion of the flow goes to the jets. If I run a styro background, it'll be easy to hide the pipes running down to the bottom of the tank. The corner overflow towers each have an intake towards the bottom of the tank, so it may work out perfectly.

Setting them up seems really straightforward (from looking on Cichlid-forum). Anyone have any experience with using them or seeing tanks first-hand with them installed? I plan on using sand in my setup, not gravel.

Cutting down on vacuuming sure would be nice; especially with a rocky bottom.

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
I tried them but didn't have the best of luck. I ran a portion of the sump return to them but it really wasn't enough. If you do it that way make sure you put it a check valve or the UGJ's will drain the tank to the bottom on a power failure. I pulld it out and replumbed an FX5 with the return about 6" from the bottom and it works great.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I think it's a lot of work to build. If I built one, I'd use a BIG pump so that it would be effective.

Matt

Tony

Jeeze, didn't think about the potential of draining your whole tank all the way to the bottom. Guess I could drill some check holes, but sheesh.... talk about a mess if they clog.

I was thinking about the cichlids digging them up and it looking bad. maybe I'll just set up some powerheads down low and hide them with the rockwork/background...

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
You can also put in check valves. They are not expensive. I have one on my big tank so it will not siphon back into the sump when (not if) the power goes out.

George

Tony

You can also put in check valves. They are not expensive. I have one on my big tank so it will not siphon back into the sump when (not if) the power goes out.

George

I think that I'm definitely going to use some check valves. if not on an undergravel jet system, then definitely on my return pipes from the sump.

On my 26 gallon reef, I only have a 3/4" PVC return line from a smaller MAG pump. I drilled a small hole right above the water line to break the siphon if the power goes out.

I'd rather go with something more fool-proof though for the large lines on the old Iwaki pump I have for the tank. Any recommendations on where to get the check valves? I don't remember seeing anything like that at Home Depot/Lowes.

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
I got mine at that fish place. Any of the large online stores should have them and what I remember is they only cost about $7-8. Actually I have one or two I'm not using, what size do you need?