• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Turtle Tank

NYfan78

Members
I am not sure which part of the forum this belongs. I am thinking of converting the 55gal. tank to a water turtle tank. id get a dock for the turtle or 2 along with a canister filter. what else do i need? any suggestions?

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I have a 20L that has an end cut out for a HOB power filter. Sort of like this:

TURTLETANKS.gif

You could do the same thing with the 55 you already have if you want to take the tank apart. Otherwise, I'd go with a canister filter - or cheaper yet, an internal filter.

You'll need a good heat lamp as well. The 2 turtles will appreciate it while they're docking. :)

NYfan78

Members
maybe ill buy a screen lid for it and put a baskin light over the dock. def will go with a canister filter. no do i need to heat the water?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I heated the water when I had my turtle (I lost him after 14 years last spring). It kept him more lively in the winter months. Probably not essential, though.

Tony

Scott,

I've got a wire top on mine, with a light over the basking section (built up with gravel). Because of the small size of the tank, the light does the trick. I used to have a heater, but the water level fluctuates greatly and isn't that deep to start out with. I was also worried about the turtle burning himself on it.

With a tank that size though, I wouldn't have the same concerns. The water level will be deeper and won't fluctuate as much (percentage-wise). On a 55, I'd go with a heater and a light. Not sure if it's fact, but think that a strong light (or right frequency/color) may be essential for a turtle's health. Sort of like people needing natural sunlight for Vitamin D production....

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Remember that turtles require UVB light to keep their shells hard and to help them process calcium. UVA bulbs are for heat only. There are combo bulbs (mercury vapor) but they tend to be costly and don't last long. You would be fine with a flourescent UVB and an incandescent UVA. They also make screw in PC UVB bulbs.

Tony

^^^^ I need to check into what I have at home. Got a fluorescent strip over the rest of the tank and the reptile bulb in the fixture. Not sure if either is UVB....

Thanks Andrew. :)

NYfan78

Members
i SAW THEY MAKE A TURTLE TOPPER THAT SITS ON TOP OF THE TANK SO THAT THE TURTLE HAS THE WHOLE TANK TO SWIM. ITS ACTUALLY PRETTY SWEET. DO U RECOMMEND 1 OR 2 TURTLES?

golsama

Corresponding Secretary
The general rule of thumb for turtle tank size is 10 gallons per inch of turtle. Given that you could still keep one larger turtle in a 55 given excellent filtration. Depending on the species of turtle you get they can grow to 14-18" some even larger. A mud or musk turtle or even a painted could live in a 55 as they stay small. Those species are also more of a "community" turtle and you could have more than one. Species like any of the sliders, cooters, maps, etc get much larger and are more territorial and solitary. As Andrew said turtles need UVB to keep their shell healthy and strong. They also need a heat lamp to bask. As long as water temp stays above 70 degrees you don't need a heater.

Here is Taser's set up (He's my Red-eared slider).
rsz_img_67281.jpg

Last edited:

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I like the set up Sam. Wish I had one of those when I had my terrapin.

I have to admit that I was not the most responsible of turtle keepers when I had mine, but he was in it for the long haul. I kept mine in a 29 with an internal filter and heater. I had a floating platform and filled the tank about 3/4 full. He spent a lot of time in the water. I had a regular strip light on the top with a basking light for part of his life. All in all he was a trooper, as I got him in college and he managed to survive.

My advice is to have as much water as you can, and get the correct lighting like Andrew stated above. I probably could have kept him another 10 years if I had given him better living conditions.

ddavila06

Members
!

I have a 20L that has an end cut out for a HOB power filter. Sort of like this:

TURTLETANKS.gif

or cheaper yet, an internal filter.

You'll need a good heat lamp as well. The 2 turtles will appreciate it while they're docking. :)

CANISTER FILTER ONLY!!

or HOB but if u cut a hole otherwise it wont work..

Turtles are very very dirty! NASTY!!!! so i also suggest that u have no gravel...
for heat u need a uvb light in addition to a heat light or one that is a little more expensive that has uvv and heat in both. i would say around 125 watt should do =)

NYfan78

Members
ok so i am keeping my 55 as of now till the turts get bigger and buying a platform for the litte guys. what filter would you all recommend. i want a canister filter cus the water wont be filled all the way up. prolly be filled up 3/4. so let me know thanks.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
You would be better off with an internal filter than a canister filter. The canister filter will lose a ton of head pressure pushing water from under the tank. up the side and then halfway into the tank. An internal filter such as the Whisper-i series would better meet your needs. Another option would be to use a powerhead with a quick filter attachment. If you go this route, do not use the "quick filter insert". It is too fine and will clog too quickly. Instead, you could put filter floss or a cutable sponge filter pad into it.
I do not recommend using a sponge filter with an air pump. I have had friends use this and found their turtles snacked on the sponge.

ddavila06

Members
i had a fluval 405 in my 110 gallon. filled about half way up and a little more i had no issues whatsoever!

i also had in the past when they were little internar fluval filter (dont know what they are called) but i had to clean too often....

congrats on the 55! how many turtles? hope u post pics soon =)