• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Try fish eggs

captmicha

Members
Chicken eggs are highly biologically available, so I think it probably holds true to most, if not all eggs since it has to sustain all the embryo's needs.

They make a great small food for most fish, and also good for larger fish, depending on how you prepare them. Especially for fry, though not newborns. It's a good grow out food.

You can find caviar but I'd probably go with salt free.

You can get more variety if you visit international grocery stores, and roe sacks as well as caviar.

For larger fish, don't rinse under a strong current. And chop the roe sacks into bite sized pieces. They're sticky this way and tend to stay clumped together.

For smaller fish, put the caviar or roe sacks in a fine mesh net and rinse under strong current. You'll have seperated eggs with little clumping. The roe sacks tend to foam like crazy, so once you'll rinsed it for a while, remove them and rinse just the eggs.

Only use cold water, or you'll cook them.

You can store them in the freezer.

Even my most picky fish love them.

25C367B0-2837-4875-883C-6D29DD9EF9D8.jpeg

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Makes sense though since most fish will eat eggs when given the opportunity. Does seem like it might train them to seek out eggs as a food source.

When I first saw the thread title, I thought it was referring to FishEggs FishEggs , Matt E.

captmicha

Members
Makes sense though since most fish will eat eggs when given the opportunity. Does seem like it might train them to seek out eggs as a food source.

When I first saw the thread title, I thought it was referring to FishEggs FishEggs , Matt E.

Maybe, but I haven't had that issue. My Coptodons and Guianacara have spawned and produced fry since I've been feeding eggs.

They want to eat other's eggs, but instincts seem to work in favor of not eating their own.