• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Tropheus

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I don't think there are many folks in the club who are breeding tropheus (or at least ones who are putting fry in the auction). It's been a while since any were in the auction.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Just my opinion, but I think it is tough with some of the niche cichlids that are out there. Two the jump to mind are tropheus and discus. Both have a reputation for being hard to keep, although for very different reasons. Both are relatively expensive to get started with (and even more expensive when you have a learning curve). Both are probably not as difficult to keep if you do it right the first time, but until folks have the space and desire to do their research and keep these fish properly, they end up being to "scary" and folks stick to what they know.

Raven20

Members
You're correct, I know all about "the learning curve" lol .... to me, their just fascinating fish to keep

dogofwar

CCA Members
The chances of someone - out of the blue - bringing a Tropheus colony or a dozen or more high quality fry to sell in one of our monthly auctions is low. Stranger things have happened but it's just not likely. Especially with the prices that things tend to go for in our auctions.

That said, there lots of great reasons to come to CCA meetings other than to buy stuff.

World class speakers and hanging out with other fish geeks come to mind. We had the guy who leads The Nature Conservancy's Programs in the Lake Tanganyika region as a speaker last year. As well as Anthony Tu on Frontosa. Probably forgetting other Lake Tang-focused speakers (aside from Ad Konings, of course, who gave a Lake Tang and Lake Malawi talk at AquaMania last year...and Pam Chin who covered both this year). We try to bring in a mix of good speakers.

Interest and the number of people keeping one kind of a fish or another comes and goes in the club. There used to be more people keeping Tropheus in the club...there still are a few...but there are lots more people keeping other kids of fish that they didn't in the past.

If you want to get people excited about keeping Tropheus, join the club and get involved with the others in the club keeping them...or bring folks in the area who keep them but haven't joined. Sell some extras in the monthly auctions... In the end, CCA is a community of folks with relatively wide interests... and groups of folks with specific ones.

Matt

Just my opinion, but I think it is tough with some of the niche cichlids that are out there. Two the jump to mind are tropheus and discus. Both have a reputation for being hard to keep, although for very different reasons. Both are relatively expensive to get started with (and even more expensive when you have a learning curve). Both are probably not as difficult to keep if you do it right the first time, but until folks have the space and desire to do their research and keep these fish properly, they end up being to "scary" and folks stick to what they know.

Valley aquatics is getting a shipment of wild caught trophs this week all about 2" for 12-20$ huge malawi/tang list up for early april. Can't imagine you couldn't find anything you wanter on it.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Raven20

Members
Dan,

I seriously didn't know about them...I just pulled up the website and they have a nice stock list and good prices...thanks for the heads up

From my dealings with steve he seems like a heads up guy whose fish are represented correctly (not many places do anymore). He specializes in importing tangs but can get just about anything tank raised. I believe he is a sponsor for mfk, or atleast the last convention. Anyone in to africans shpuld check him out, great prices.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App