• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Tragedy at the National Zoo : (

Cartel

Members
I saw that last night. Sucks but it seems like aquariums have bug losses from time to time. I think one a few months ago lost all their sharks due to equipment failure.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
Its too bad it didn't take out the guppies they didn't even want in there. It certainly is a tragedy but I suspect they will breed more.

George

YSS

Members
That sucks. I was at the zoo last year and saw the tank. It was nice and as I was walking away, my 5 year old daughter goes "look daddy, discus!" So I looked and there were many wild discus in the tank. It was nice to see them. But the article said only 3 discus were in the tank. They must have lost a lot of them since last year...

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Its definitely a shame whenever a public zoo or aquarium has a mass casualty. Hopefully they can acquire more stock once they figure out the problem.
I saw that last night. Sucks but it seems like aquariums have bug losses from time to time. I think one a few months ago lost all their sharks due to equipment failure.

This was actually due to human error. Someone forgot to turn off a switch to an ozone reactor or something along those lines during a water change. I think it was a colony of bonnethead sharks if I remember correctly. The health monitoring programs are usually very comprehensive, so usually losses are due to human error unfortunately. I'd hate to be that guy when the cause is figured out.