• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Today In The Fishroom~5/31/11 P. Fredrichsthali Light Set Up

Aquamojo

Members
Going along the same vane as a previous post on a light set up for the Zonatum. My goal her was to light the fish both top and bottom as I have previously. The problem I have had in the past is adjusting the lower flash to a point where the light would illuminate the bottom of the fish while eliminating any hot spots. I was looking for an "evenly lit" top and bottom photo.

Here's a shot of the female...a new bride for my F0 male P. fredrichsthali "Yellow Head". He has killed the last two. She is much smaller as you will see in the photos. The male is about a foot long with beautiful trailers. This was a good photo, but I thought the bottom light was too hot. Dramatic lighting, yes...but not what I was looking for.

Fredrocshsthali-952.jpg

Here's the lighting set up. On top were two Nikon SB-800 flash units with Gary Fong Lightsphere diffusers. That bell shaped diffuser throws two cones of light down onto the subjects. The Nikon Sb900 flash is attached to a Graslon diffuser. As you can see it is a much larger (and softer light focus)

Freddie-light-set-up.jpg

If you look at the picture of the fish, you can see how the light is falling on the fish. Take a good look at the light from below. By adjusting the output of this light on the bottom I was able to get these photos.

OK light

Fredrocshsthali-956.jpg

Fredrocshsthali-955.jpg

Perfect light

Fredrocshsthali-954.jpg

Fredrocshsthali-953.jpg

Not the best aesthetic shot...but spot on light top and bottom of this beautiful species of cichlid. The male is about a foot long.

Fredrocshsthali-951.jpg

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Awesome Mo. Your boy killed the last two females? Yikes. I am excited about the juvies I got from you, but seriously, what did I get myself into? lol.

Franny - Under the tank, I think that's the SB900 with the Graslon diffuser.

mscichlid

Founder
Thanks buddy!

I looked them up and may be a nice addition to my bag. Couldn't figure out the differences between them other than being flat or domed. Coverage of light perhaps? Need to investigate it more before getting one or two...depending on the info.

Last edited:

Aquamojo

Members
Thanks buddy!

I looked them up and may be a nice addition to my bag. Couldn't figure out the differences between them other than being flat or domed. Coverage of light perhaps? Need to investigate it more before getting one or two...depending on the info.

Fran,

Look for a Graslon Diffuser. It's about $100 and worth every penny. It comes with a flat diffuser...but you can buy a domed shell that throws out an amazingly soft diffused light. I have four of the SB-900 flash units now and and amazed every day at their performance.

Aquamojo

Members
Thanks Mo.I have one SB-900, one SB-800, and 3 or 4 SB-26's.

I tried to buy a few more SB-800's but they aren't making them anymore. I just started really learning the SB-900. What an amazing piece of equipment. I had no idea that the gel filters had contact points that, when attached to the camera with the filter holder....is actually recognized by both the flash AND the camera. Very cool.