• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Thoughts on breeding madness

thedavidzoo

Members
Just had 3 more batches of Cyrpichromis leptosoma "Utinta" fry within 3 weeks. I always fish out the female close to the due date to collect the spit fry, then release mom back into the main tank. At this rate it will saturate the local market:rofl:
What does everyone do when there are too many fry to sell, auction off, etc. in a reasonable amount of time? Let the female spit in the main tank? I suppose new excess batches become fish food for other tank residents? Hate "wasting" good fry like that.

Leffler817

CCA Members
You could ask for a trade in store credit.

ECC has an auction in April as well. A bunch of people go up to NJ for it. You could either ride along or just send the fish.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

daninmd

Members
i just let them spit in the tank. i raised fry for a long time and always had trouble getting rid of them. LFS wont usually take them and you cant get much on craigslist. if you list them for free, people will pick them up as feeders.

i let them spit in the tank. i have a nice harem of F1 White Top Hara in my tank that is constantly breeding. I just noticed the other night that there were more fish than i remember and some smaller ones. what was 7 Haras, is now about 11, lol.

a few do survive here and there, really not sure how they do it. But you figure out of the thousands of fry over hte past year, and 4 survived so the odds are low...but eventually will get one here and there in the tank. i even have 3 cats in the tank, not sure how they escaped them

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Try to trade with people for fry of other species. I love getting new fish without having to spend money. That way you're not taking a loss on the cost, and still getting something you want. Much worse things to be overrun with that cyp fry, I can't even keep adults alive, but thats a different story...

Other suggestions were great too though.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Esther, you'll never have any trouble selling that particular fish. Keep pulling them imo.

Shoot... I could use some more to bolster my original colony. Wanna sell some fry back to me? :)

longstocking

Members
A little late but... cyps are always in demand for Tang lovers... you just need to get them up in size a little IMO. Most tang keeps want them at least an inch when moving them.

HOT does take fish in as donations or store credit. They only tend to "pay" big breeders.... meaning people that have more than 6 or so species to offer. So as a last resort you can always give me a call at HOT ... but they need to be at least 1.5 at HOT.

thedavidzoo

Members
Ok, never mind my paranoia about not being able to get rid of my juvies. It does seem there are more and/or new folks interested than I thought.
So, I'll keep collecting the fry and growing them out...for future sale.