• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

This is where it started for me

Aqua410

Members
Years before you could get the answer to any fish question imaginable you had to pick up one of these and learn something. This one is "aquarium fishes in color" published sometime in the 70s. I'm sure most of the descriptions were already invalid when I got this copy in early 90s and set up my first tank and pretty much all the species names are invalid now but it's a pretty cool book.

Last edited:

Leffler817

CCA Members
Nice! I don't remember the title of my first book, but I do remember it was by Dr. Herbert Axelrod. Before I knew any better, I used his book: The Most Complete Colored Lexicon of Cichlids. It is a huge book with lots of picture and info on now renamed fish.

Hannibal

Members
It all started with me with a simple goldfish from the carnival that my daughter won. 9 tanks up and running later here I am now.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I had one of Axelrod's books, some sort of freshwater encyclopedia. It was about 1,000 pages of pictures that I would just flip through over and over again.