• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Thinking of Adding A Sump to a Non-Drill 240 Gal

madcobra216

Members
Hi All, I'm looking for some guidance/direction for possible adding a Sump to my Non-Drill 240 Gal.
I have a few questions.
  1. How difficult is it to Maintain the Sump?
  2. Will I get the same water flow in my 240? I currently run 2 Fx6 & I love the output.
  3. Noise & smell! From the vids I watch sump seems to he a bit noisy, in saw no mentioning about smell.

Please advise.
Thank you all in advance. And if you know someone that could build a top of the line 1 for me, I'll be happy to consider.

lock jaw

CCA Members
I have a 75 gal and a 30 gal sump with one fx6. I use an overflow to a trickle down 3-drawer system and into a bin. It really depends on how many pumps and the power of them, going back into your tank for flow. I have one pump and it works well. I also have one wave runner, you might want a couple in yours. I did have to deal with some gurgling from the overflow and splashing noises from the overflow pipe to the first drawer but over time I have figured out how it make it silent. I clean the water in the bin once a week and I don't smell anything from it.

littlen

CCA Members
My $0.02 are that sumps are generally very easy to maintain. But you can make them as difficult and complicated as you want. I think the advantages way outweigh the disadvantages. 2 FX6s add conservatively, 8-10? gallons of additional water to your 'system'? A 55 or 75 gallon sump on your 240 would add three to five times that volume. More water = more water stability. You could keep your FX6s, and add them into the sump and therefore remove their intake pipes and supply tubes from your display which makes for a cleaner appearance. They then don't have to work as hard removing debris, and can be loaded carbon/zeolite/phos-ban to help polish your water, for example.

The weekly maintenance is really only cleaning filter socks or pads. Monthly maintenance could be as simple as detritus removal from compartments and bio-media rinsing (if it accumulates debris). The flow question depends on the size of the pump you use.

Any improperly cleaned fish system will inevitably produce an odor. Keeping to your daily/weekly/monthly cleaning schedule will keep any decaying organic material from accumulating and prevent any smell, as I'm sure you're well aware. I've gone weeks w/o changing socks on my 180 and haven't encountered any odors...the wife would also agree.

There are plenty of ways to mitigate the sounds. Pump noises can be muffled. The falling water sound of the overflow(s) produces the loudest noise, but even they aren't that bad and can muffled as well. My tank isn't in a high traffic area and the ambient, white-noise it produces isn't offensive.

Are you opposed to drilling your tank? If you're getting the results from your FX6s that you want, then I suppose there is no need for a sump. It could be a fun project if you have nothing else going on.

madcobra216

Members
Thanks for the insight.
This is peeking my interest even more.
I've been using Fluval canister for over 2 decades now & honestly I love them & find no fault with them. The 2 I have now works great. Recently I do find myself getting a little annoyed with the fact that I have to lift these 2 heavy canister to my faucet & going through the long, some times tedious process of cleaning & reconnecting.
If the sump itself could be a an overall improvement & i dont have to deal with moving 2 heavy canisters, then that within itself would be a plus.
Here is another question? I'm not a plumber & I dont play one on TV, is this a project you all would
suggest I embark on solo, or can you all recommend someone who would be able to possible build one for me? I do want the best for my fish with limited complaints & concerns from my wife. Thanks again for the info, keep it coming

littlen

CCA Members
I will agree with you. The Fluvals have been a staple in my fishkeeping as well. For a tank as large as yours, a sump is the way to go. I know exactly what you mean with the heavy lifting. You're essentially lifting a 5gal. bucket of water every time you need to clean them.

The sump will give you all of the mechanical and biological filtration you could ever want--depending on design. As I mentioned before, you can still use the canister(s) for chemical filtration if you wish.

Truth be told, I don't feel that the general plumbing skills required to build a simple sump are beyond most home-hobbyist. Between the resources on the forum, and good ole YouTube videos, you should be able to get it done. Cutting and gluing PVC is as easy as it gets. The sump itself could be an old tank, or you could order one online and just worry about plumbing it in. The biggest obstacle at this point would be drilling the tank---which is what I suppose you'll want to do?

Drilling a tank isn't the hardest, but it is certainly something I wouldn't recommend a first timer doing on their big display tank. But we'll cross that bridge later.

Good luck.

madcobra216

Members
I will agree with you. The Fluvals have been a staple in my fishkeeping as well. For a tank as large as yours, a sump is the way to go. I know exactly what you mean with the heavy lifting. You're essentially lifting a 5gal. bucket of water every time you need to clean them.

The sump will give you all of the mechanical and biological filtration you could ever want--depending on design. As I mentioned before, you can still use the canister(s) for chemical filtration if you wish.

Truth be told, I don't feel that the general plumbing skills required to build a simple sump are beyond most home-hobbyist. Between the resources on the forum, and good ole YouTube videos, you should be able to get it done. Cutting and gluing PVC is as easy as it gets. The sump itself could be an old tank, or you could order one online and just worry about plumbing it in. The biggest obstacle at this point would be drilling the tank---which is what I suppose you'll want to do?

Drilling a tank isn't the hardest, but it is certainly something I wouldn't recommend a first timer doing on their big display tank. But we'll cross that bridge later.

Good luck.

You make it sounds so easy.
I'm NOT trying to drill my tank, do not what to do that at all.
Well, I will have to continue you doing some research. Or does anyone what to come do it for me? Hint Hint!!

littlen

CCA Members
There are [much less easy] ways without drilling, but how do you intend to provide flow from the sump to tank, and vice versa w/o drilling?

Tonyb13

CCA Members
Does anyone have a sump for sale or would like to build me 1 at a decent prices?
Check out WAMAS that's where all the saltwater guys hang out and there are always some good used ones for sale. I thought about doing the same thing but I was to chicken to try and drill my tank and heard horror stories about the over the edge overflows breaking siphon and flooding my house so I went with fx6.

madcobra216

Members
Just an Update: I've taken the plunge & bought a new Pro Clear Red Flex 300, including the bells & whistles. Hope all goes well & I'll keep you all updated.

madcobra216

Members
Check out WAMAS that's where all the saltwater guys hang out and there are always some good used ones for sale. I thought about doing the same thing but I was to chicken to try and drill my tank and heard horror stories about the over the edge overflows breaking siphon and flooding my house so I went with fx6.

Sound like me a few weeks ago. But thanks to YouTube, my knowledge increased on how to avoid some of those pit falls. Now i just need to execute my plan. I'm actually adding the sump Systems with drilling the tank. I'm using a hang off the back sphin box.
Learned how to prevent flooding by adjusting the return valves. Now I'm confident.

madcobra216

Members
UPDATE:
I did it! I successfully added the Red Flex 4 in 1 sump to my tank. OMG! This thing is a life changer.
1st. The Turn over rate for the tank went up ~30%
2nd. Flexibility for adding so much more media is ridiculous.
3rd. Easy to maintain. Changed filter sock in 4 mins or less.
I can go on & on
I will post video soon.