• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Thinking differently...and more healthily..

Tannin Aquatics

CCA Members
“Oh…Fellman is back to being preachy again…”

IMG_3985_e88f1c84-35c7-4bf4-afbd-98548ef1315b_large.JPG

No, actually, I’m being reflective, really, but if you want to call it “preachy”, well, ok. This is something that's been floating around in my head for a while after a deep discussion with a fellow hobbyist, and it sort of bubbled to the surface lately...

As Autumn unfolds, I’m getting ready for that most exciting of times for a fish geek: A new tank build! And, with every build comes the usual considerations: “theme”, budget constraints, equipment choices, aesthetics, etc., etc. And, with every build, us fish geeks tend to look at things as if this is our new chance to “get it right”, as if all of the previous tanks we’ve built were part of a buildup to this "ultimate achievement." Now, that’s not an entirely unhealthy thing; I mean, we always strive to improve, to learn from past mistakes, and to constantly work at perfecting our craft. There is nothing wrong with self improvement. (click to read more)

dogofwar

CCA Members
Stop worrying about what everyone else thinks - Amen to that! Keep the fish that YOU like, the way that YOU like and YOU'LL enjoy your fish and tanks much more. Fish come in and out of coolness every few years in a predictable fad cycle. Not worth keeping today. Holy grail tomorrow.

As I'm setting up my new fishroom, it's easy to get into the "get everything done now" mindset. It's simply not possible. I'll get to cleaning up the air lines on that rack of tanks later. It will wait. Focus on what's important: do the fish have clean water (water changes), air (filtration), stable temps and something to eat every now and again. Then they're good. Really they are. I've pulled several pots of fry out of my fishroom already!

Even perfectly-cared-for fish get sick or die. The focus on perfection in natural things is both, uh, unnatural and futile. In every instance of man vs. nature, nature - ultimately - wins! So stop re-arranging your substrate every time breeding cichlids move it to suit them. And for God sakes, quit drilling perfectly round holes into flowerpots. My fish like the piles of terra cotta pieces that they gave me free at Home Depot better! :)

Matt

FishEggs

I agree with almost everything you said Matt. I think you should strive to keep fish the way that the Fish like. :)