• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Thinking about Moving

Im thinking about attending school in Colorado this fall and was wondering the best way I could transport my tank/all inhabitants to there. The tank is a 33 long (48"x12"x13") and i have about 10 cichlids in there, but may not bring all of them.

What would be the most logical and safest way to transport all of this?

Im thinking shipping it all will be the most likely, but how should i prepare the fish for shipment? Or are there companies that can do this for me?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Transporting fish across the country could be tough, but can be done. If you are going to Colorado for the first time, like others said, sell you stuff and start over when you get settled down.

If you already have a place to live and can have a tank set up when the fish arrive, then you could ship them, but it may get expensive. Shipping 10 adult fish, properly bagged and boxed, could cost you over $100 just in shipping.

minifoot77

Members
I moved an adult pair of parachromis and three groups of mbuna to illinois from maryland. I used three five gallon buckets and did waterchanges at every hotel stop. They were without a tank or filters for 7 days... And i had to set up a tank on the other end thank the fish gods for seachem stability :D

Sent from my M865 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Yea im considering just transporting it all from my car. If i put all the fish in bags and properly oxygenate them, they can last at least 3 days in there, right? That should be enough time to drive them from Maryland to Colorado and then re-setup the tank there.

What about this idea? I really do not want to give away my fish, ive had many for a while and im still looking foward to their full colorful adult size.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
If it were me, I'd bag them individually with oxygen, fresh dechlorinated water and a large piece of poly filter. The should be fine for at least two days. If they start looking rough, stop somewhere and rebag them with fresh dechlorinated water and a new piece of poly filter. If you start with oxygen, you should only have to rebag once during the drive (if that).

On a side note, Colorado has a pretty decent cichlid club (they're hosting the ACA next year). You could likely replace anything pretty easily once there. http://www.rmcichlid.org/mambo/

If it were me, I'd bag them individually with oxygen, fresh dechlorinated water and a large piece of poly filter. The should be fine for at least two days. If they start looking rough, stop somewhere and rebag them with fresh dechlorinated water and a new piece of poly filter. If you start with oxygen, you should only have to rebag once during the drive (if that).

On a side note, Colorado has a pretty decent cichlid club (they're hosting the ACA next year). You could likely replace anything pretty easily once there. http://www.rmcichlid.org/mambo/

Wow thats great info. I didnt know Colorado was into cichlids like that. Makes me want to go there even more.

Where do u recommend i get oxygen or oxygen pump and poly filter?

Thanks

verbal

CCA Members
Wow thats great info. I didnt know Colorado was into cichlids like that. Makes me want to go there even more.

Where do u recommend i get oxygen or oxygen pump and poly filter?

Thanks

I think YourFishStuff.com(club sponsor) sells poly filter.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Take 2...

Best advice is to get yourself to school, get settled in and pick up a tank there.

That is so boring. Practical perhaps, but what is life without lyric ill-advised obsession? Don't answer that - I don't want to know.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Ah so...

Thanks.

Note to fish-transporters/shippers: Don't feed for 2 days prior to move.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
You could also go the battery powered air pump and sponge filter in a cooler/large tuppermaid route. Water changes at every stop along the way.

Greg31

Members
Ive done it before. But I suggest getting settled in first withough having a tank to set up. Kind of.makes whole process more difficult.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dogofwar

CCA Members
Exactly. Setting up a fish tank and dealing with your fish should be priority 8,734 of your first couple of weeks of college in Colorado.

Bigger fish to fry, pun intended...

Matt