• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

These squeeze bulb things for siphons

captmicha

Members
Starting my siphons can be a PITA. I like the gravel vacs that have these squeeze bulbs on them so I can start them easier.

I don't feel like paying $6+ for each squeeze bulb to add to my vacs that don't have them.

I'm thinking hardware stores probably have something similar. What name are they under so I can go shopping for some?

verbal

CCA Members
You can get kerosene siphons cheaper from a hardware store of even Amazon.

However the big advantage of the python one is it will adapt to python tubing(and a couple of other diameters).

They sell them for siphoning gas so I'd start there, just saw some in depot last week. Or you could get a gravel vac that has a one way valve between the tube and hose. Then you put it in the tank and lift it then drop it a few times and voila. Most siphons have them and most people don't even realize it. Just a small plastic peice that allows water and air to flow out but not back in. Any easy way to see if your siphon has it is to blow in the end you normally suck to start the siphon if you can suck air out but not blow it back then you have a vac that has the flow valve on it. Tough to explain maybe check you tube for a video. I can post a pic if you Would like if your vac doesn't have it you could probably get a new one for the same price as the bulb thingy. By far the easiest way to do it

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Starting my siphons can be a PITA. I like the gravel vacs that have these squeeze bulbs on them so I can start them easier.

I don't feel like paying $6+ for each squeeze bulb to add to my vacs that don't have them.

I'm thinking hardware stores probably have something similar. What name are they under so I can go shopping for some?

An easy way is to prime the siphon before putting it in the tank

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

This is the peice between the hose and the vacuum tube you can see the first has the little plastic valve shut the second it is open. I have 4 vacs amd 3 have this the python does mot because water couldn't flow back into the tank. I just got an eheim gravel vac that is battery powed and returns the water to the tank after filtering out the waste. It is awesome if you do a lot of vacuuming this thing is the greatest invention ever.

uploadfromtaptalk1390187777076.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1390187787994.jpg

I've been using the "Super Siphon," hose is 6' feet long; 1/2" wide and makes a siphon easy in less than 10 seconds, everytime. See Link: http://www.boatshowproducts.com/super-siphon

Same concept, uses one way valve then the pressure differences from lifting and dropping allows the water to overcome gravity. Never saw one like that. I was impressed the first time I saw this work. You could just submerge the whole thing and plug the end then remove it and put it in the bucket.

Beer siphon hoses have a ball bearings in them. You move it up and down and it will.start the siphon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Localzoo

Board of Directors
You can try but I don't know if they do
Just call and check first.

Here is where I found it its close to my parents old place kind of a weird neighborhood

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1390348002.764505.jpg