• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

The Perch are back!

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
That's one native fish I've never kept. I imagine they'd be a nice show fish in a big tank. Don't know what the regs are on possessing them, though. I seem to remember that they had fallen on hard times in Maryland.
This is one I've always wanted to keep. I've thought about stocking a pond with them instead of koi. But I don't know if you're allowed or if they'll look good and I don't have a pond yet.

in regards to water, they can be caught in ponds/lakes and out of loch raven and pretty boy, so freshwater in not a problem for em.

as far as keeping them in a pond, they wouldnt be much. maybe fun to feed but you wouldnt see much besides like a dark fish shape.

Regulations are 5 per person per day. Minimum size of 9"s. what u do with em after you catch em is up to you i believe as long as they are not released into a non private body of water, as transferring fish from one place to another is illegal.

Sonny Disposition

The thing with pond fish is that only two species have been selectively bred to be viewed from above: koi and goldfish. And maybe albino channel catfish. Like cichlids, perch and large Lepomis sunfish are best viewed from behind glass.

What kind of line are you using? mono? I'm having a hard time finding good 4# line. The berkely stuff is crap IMO. Tried their mono and fluoro and wasn't very happy.

to be honest im not 100% sure, i believe its stren, or so my dad thinks. Found it in the garage, just had a sticker on it thats say 4lb.

either way im a stren man all the way. i have the 20lb on my catfish rod and 8lb on my other reel. it was love at first cast.