• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

The baby demasoni that survived in my filter

Chicklid

Members
So I was cleaning out the filter (aquaclear 110) on my 125 today and found a demasoni in the bottom of it. I was somewhat amazed that it was actually ALIVE in there. I thought that it would have gotten chopped up or just died. It did seem to grow a bit in there because I think if he was that size when he got in it, he wouldn't have fit through the intake. Either way he's found alright now with some OB peacock fry in a ten gallon. :)

iamzrad

Members
Have you ever cleaned out a planted tank before?
You'd be surprised what you find in the filters.

Nice save!

Chicklid

Members
Haha no I haven't done any planted tanks yet (maybe in my discus tank?), but now I am curious as to what you have found in your filters.

Ophelia77

Members
We've had ABN swim down the tube into box filters before - I remember thinking "How stupid is this fish to be trying to get in there" LOL

iamzrad

Members
Everything from mini snail populations, danios, cories, and oto cats. These are both HOB filters and canisters.
When I tore down my planted tank sometime last year, I could literally 'scoop' up snails from the canister, it was crazy!

Chicklid

Members
Yeah I find plenty of snails in my filter. It's not that bad though sine it is a hang on filter and it gets cleaned more often than a canister.

bschuhart

Members
I've found fry living inside my Ocean Clear filters before.

I had a Fiddler Crab that used to craw out of the tank. Thought it died but a few MONTHS later my wife saw a GIANT SPIDER ! turns out to be a Fiddler crab that's been crawling around the living room for 2 months.

Chicklid

Members
Haha. It's a good thing your wife didn't kill the giant spider. I'm wondering if he grew faster out of the tank and what exactly he ate... :unsure: