• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

That "stuff on the bottom"- and its impact...

Tannin Aquatics

CCA Members
If you recall my little rant on Saturday, I was sort of singing the praises of the idea of an aquarium with a fairly large amount of organic material in it. Now, when you think about it, the botanical-style aquarium sort of falls into that category, huh? Leaves and botanicals certainly add to the "something" to an aquarium, don't they?

Sure, but is this a negative?

If you look at a lot of the underwater photos and videos taken in the natural habitats of our fishes that, thankfully, are becoming more and more popular and abundant than ever, you see a lot of "stuff" in the water column, on the bottom, etc. Natural streams are not always the pristine-looking "nature aquarium" subjects of our dreams, are they?

unspecified-4_5845bd3f-bd8e-4c2e-939c-8b3786af3691_grande.jpeg

Not really. Rather, many of the environments from which the fishes we love hail are anything but "pristine" assemblages of rock, wood, and plants. They have a lot of "stuff" in them, ranging from clumps of algae to seed pods, palm fronds, etc, up to submerged logs.

unspecified-1_afeef39f-1e0b-4621-ac50-8c2f34093227_grande.jpeg

Now, in many of the photos and videos that I've poured over in recent years, the most common items you see on the bottom are...shocker- leaves! Yeah, they're everywhere...in almost every aquatic environment you see, ranging from ponds to slow moving jungle streams, to larger rivers. Sure, in swift-current scenarios, you're less likely to see large beds of leaves, but you still see them. (click to read more)