• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Texas Holey Rock

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Wow. 40 pounds for $95 shipped is a pretty sweet deal.

NYfan78

Members
Would 40lbs be enugh for a 55 gallon tank? enough to stack it up and along the back you think?

cholile

Members
if you don't know the pieces you're getting then it's a waste. THR is great when it looks attractive and provides great holes. When you get just big heavy blocks of limestone (that's all it is) you're getting ripped off. The key is acquiring natural pieces that are more aesthetically pleasing than any artificial decorations.

NYfan78

Members
I emailed the guy and asked about the pieces in the lot. He said every piece has holes in it and plus he has 100% feedback. I am thinking about going that way. Pretty cheap!

But my question to you all...Do you think 40# is enough for a 55gal?

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
I emailed the guy and asked about the pieces in the lot. He said every piece has holes in it and plus he has 100% feedback. I am thinking about going that way. Pretty cheap!

But my question to you all...Do you think 40# is enough for a 55gal?
YES ....U NEVER KNOW U MAY NEED MORE ;)

mrkillie

Members
Would 40lbs be enugh for a 55 gallon tank? enough to stack it up and along the back you think?

I am guessing that these are commercially packaged boxes similar to those I used to get when I bought rock like lava rock for my store years ago. if so, then the box will be about 2' long by about 15" wide and about 8" deep. That should give you an idea of the volume of the rock anyway.

Joel

Jumbie

Members
Not like this would help you any but I thought you might want to know, I ordered a 3 boxes from Tropical Lagoon for one of my tank services. 2 boxes had some really neat pieces with a lot of holes that the fish could swim in and out of the other box had 2 big pieces and a few small ok pieces wasn’t as great as the other two boxes. IMO when it comes to choosing rocks for your tank it’s always better to pick it out in person.

mrkillie

Members
Not like this would help you any but I thought you might want to know, I ordered a 3 boxes from Tropical Lagoon for one of my tank services. 2 boxes had some really neat pieces with a lot of holes that the fish could swim in and out of the other box had 2 big pieces and a few small ok pieces wasn’t as great as the other two boxes. IMO when it comes to choosing rocks for your tank it’s always better to pick it out in person.

That depends on your purpose. If it's just for function (water buffering and building blocks) then it really doesn't matter. If you are trying to develop a show piece tank, then yeah, pick it out in person and pay through the nose for it. If half the rock is nice, I will still make out in the deal compared to prices at the stores. I can always leave bad feedback for the guy too, so it is in his best interest to send nice rock. My guess is that if the rock is nice, a few people here will take a shot with him; if, not, then he has lost a few sales just from this forum, not including what people may think from my feedback.

Jumbie

Members
That depends on your purpose. If it's just for function (water buffering and building blocks) then it really doesn't matter. If you are trying to develop a show piece tank, then yeah, pick it out in person and pay through the nose for it. If half the rock is nice, I will still make out in the deal compared to prices at the stores. I can always leave bad feedback for the guy too, so it is in his best interest to send nice rock. My guess is that if the rock is nice, a few people here will take a shot with him; if, not, then he has lost a few sales just from this forum, not including what people may think from my feedback.

Agree it all depends on the individual’s purpose.

mrkillie

Members
It's here. There were 2 what I would call large pieces, one pretty cool, the other OK; one medium large piece that was pretty cool; and 2 small to medium size pieces - one cool, one not so much. I think was an OK deal. I would say to use it mostly as base type rocks, and then you can pick out a nice show piece if you are setting up a display tank. Here are some pics:

Pic 2.jpg

Pic 4.jpg

Pic 5.jpg

Pic 6.jpg

Pic 7.jpg

Pic 8.jpg

Pic 9.jpg