• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Temporary Housing for my Fish

Paul S

I want to rescape my 90 gal planted tank using a soil substrate. I need suggestions for inexpensive, practical, (and safe) ways to temporarily house a variety of fish (Tetras, Cories, Angels, Blue Rams, Clown Loaches, and Ottos) for about 4 or 5 weeks. Also, would it better to seperate/isolate certain species during this time (to reduce stress)? Thanks.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Big Rubbermaid... or spare tank.

Start a couple of sponges in the present tank so that they're "cycled".

A couple of sponges, a heater and some decorations from the main tank and you're in business.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
A kiddie wading pool makes an inexpensive holding tank with a lot of surface area per volume. I use them inside the house with sponge filters and heaters if needed. Outside I use them without filters for goldfish fry and unintentional tadpoles.

Only fill about half or 2/3rds and the sides are high enough that the fish will not jump out. Besides if you put any floating plants or bunch plants in the fish will tend to stay near them.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I too use the plastic storage containers. I have a bunch of them in different sizes. They stack for storage and are there when I need them. I have used them quite a few times at conventions to house my show fish before and after the show room is avail. Also have sold fish out of them in my room.

Paul S

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure I have enough floor space for the kiddy pool but a big Rubbermaid with some sponge filters sounds like a pretty good solution. Just curious, will the sides bow out a lot? And is it necessary to add any support to prevent that? Thanks!!
Paul

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
If you are using large ones then yes they will bow. But really not enough to be a problem. I put mine against each other and then they help support each other. I put one end against the wall and the other I usually dont worry about.
The smaller ones dont bow enough to notice. I even put the tops on so fish don't jump.

Paul S

Since it will be for at least 4 or 5 weeks, I'll need a strip light(s) across the top (which I have) and something to clear to cover it (to keep the fish from jumping out but to allow light in). What suggestions do you have for an inexpensive cover?

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Some Plexi glass from the hardware store.
Or even better the thin 2X4 sheets/ defuser(sp) that you can by for floresent fixtures. They are thin and let a lot of light pass. Home Depot has them.

Paul S

From what I remember, plexi-glass is kind of expensive. I'll check out the 2x4 florescent light covers though. Thanks again for the suggestions. I really appreciate it.
Paul

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
From what I remember, plexi-glass is kind of expensive. I'll check out the 2x4 florescent light covers though. Thanks again for the suggestions. I really appreciate it.
Paul

I think wal mart has rubber maid containers that are clear with clear plastic lids. You could make cut outs to allow for the air lines and cords. I used the opaque containers to move my fish a year ago. I wasn't about to bag 80+ fish, plus it was a local move. I just added an airstone and a heater and they were fine for a few hours. No casualties. Long term shouldn't be any different with proper water changes. The containers were less than $10 each. Good luck.

Paul S

I want to minimize costs for the temp housing so I can put my money into my new scape so thanks for that tip! I'll pay a visit to Walmart.

Instead of one big container with all of the fish, I'm considering maybe two or three medium sized ones. Two reasons:
1) It will make things less crowded and stressful on the fish.
2) I concerned that a really big container (50+ gal) may bow out too much.

I've got plenty of lights. I just need to get the sponge filters and a couple of extra heaters...

Last edited:

dogofwar

CCA Members
I used the Costco ones with the clear tops with success.

A lot of my tanks have light diffuser and/or rubbermaid tops. Ambient light is good enough.