• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Teleocichla

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
That fish is not only UGLY, but he's FUGLY (Freakin Ugly)! I'd probably have nightmare's about him swimming around in my toilet sitting there ready to bite my butt. No Way Dude!

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! He looks like a sneaky little sucker.;) I believe he's a Pike of some sort right?

RM

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
If you Google Teleocichla under images, there are a bunch of better looking pictures of that fish.

mscichlid

Founder
The species is hard to come by because they don't ship well. Ever once in a while they may show up and most aquarist have a hard time replicating their requirements.

I agree, a way cool species!

longstocking

Members
hmmmm wonder if Julie has them or can get them. ANyone else interested if she can get them in? I think she has to order like half a box at least.

Spine

Members
I got some from Julie this summer. I bought 5 altogether and lost 1 in shipping and another a couple days after I received them. The 3 others did fine until last week.
I had a pelvicachromis from an adjacent tank jump out and land in theirs he wiped them out before I noticed. I've been burned several times this year from having open top tanks.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Last spring, I acquired a group of 3 Teleocichla monogramma (1 male, 1 female, 1 unknown) that were each about 1.5 - 2".

I kept them with some Zebra Danios in a 4' tank with HEAVY water movement (overflows from other tanks + big filter) and lots of rocks and PVC tubes. The tank received 20% or larger water changes at least 3 days per week.

The fish settled in nicely and were eating (flake, worms, etc.) a couple of hours out of the bag. They scooted around the bottom of the tank and really didn't pay much attention to each other.

About 2 months later, I found the unknown sex one shredded (killed)...the other two were plump and hanging around with each other (a good sign). The next week I found the female similarly mauled.

So what do you do with a single male Teleocichla (I traded him in for credit at a LFS back in Sacramento)?

One of the sellers at ACA had pairs for $24 (http://www.cichlidexchange.com/). I didn't buy more because we were planning on moving.

If I had it do over, I think I would have built PVC "condo's" for them (a bunch of 3-4" pieces of PVC rubberbanded together) vs. stray pieces on the bottom. I probably would also recommend getting a larger number (6?) and putting them in a 6' tank (or bigger) with a bunch of dithers.

I'd read that they're vicious with each other but was lulled into complaceny with their initial peaceful behavior.

Matt

I got some from Julie this summer. I bought 5 altogether and lost 1 in shipping and another a couple days after I received them. The 3 others did fine until last week.
I had a pelvicachromis from an adjacent tank jump out and land in theirs he wiped them out before I noticed. I've been burned several times this year from having open top tanks.[/b]

longstocking

Members
Thanks you two !

I asked Julie about them... she said ask Kevin lol

DId you like their behavior you two? Or were they boring?

Good to know she can get them in though :)

dogofwar

CCA Members
The two that I had were interesting...stayed out in the open and bounced around looking for food. Not at all interactive with me, though.

The big question that I have is whether it makes sense to devote a hundred gallons or more of water to them, which it might take to keep them from eventually mauling each other. What would be some good tankmates that would maybe justify it..and would get along well in a tank with really strong currents? Congo tetras? Buffaloheads would probably leave them alone.

Thanks you two !

I asked Julie about them... she said ask Kevin lol

DId you like their behavior you two? Or were they boring?

Good to know she can get them in though :)[/b]

Spine

Members
Sarah,
I think you would like them they were pretty active and stayed out so you could view them. I had the Teleocichla cinderella if you decide to get any let me know I'd love to get some more

maddog10

Members
Funny thing is, I am not even trying (at least not too hard) to breed any fish at this time. Guess thats how it works - you try to breed them and they don't, you leave them alone and they do their best rabbit imitation.