• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Tank Top Advice

marge618

CCA member
I have 10g and 20g tanks running with no tops.

Uncovered they are putting too much humidity into the room. If you have any suggestions for how to cover these tanks please let me know.

Also, if you have any 'extra' covers I'd be interested in those...

Later,
Marge

dogofwar

CCA Members
You can get glass cut at Lowe's.

I use clear Rubbermaid containers (and lids) over most of my tanks.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (marge618 @ Mar 6 2008, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Uncovered they are putting too much humidity into the room. If you have any suggestions for how to cover these tanks please let me know.

Later,
Marge[/b]

Glass is going to be more expensive than plexiglass. Plexiglass is available at both Lowe's and Home Depot. The thing I like about Plexi is that you can cut a small hole into the piece to allow you to remove it easily and both glass and plexi you can buy larger sheets and cut it down to take care of multiple tanks with one piece as opposed to buying lots of smaller pieces, Home Depot does not cut glass due to insurance issues with employees getting hurt when the glass breaks, etc. The downside of plexi is that its not as durable as glass, and gets cloudy after a while which cuts down on light transmission which would impact plants more than fish.

cabinetmkr39

DavidG / CCA Member
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dogofwar @ Mar 6 2008, 09:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You can get glass cut at Lowe's.

I use clear Rubbermaid containers (and lids) over most of my tanks.
CAN YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN, wHAT TYPE OF CONTAINER AND LID? DO YOU HAVE PART NUMBERS OR SIZES.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (marge618 @ Mar 6 2008, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Later,
Marge[/b]
[/b][/quote]

longstocking

Members
A much better way.... go to home depot and pick up light diffusers that people use for florescent lights. They don't cloud, warp, and are cheaper. You can cut them with an acrylic cutter.

marge618

CCA member
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (longstocking @ Mar 6 2008, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
A much better way.... go to home depot and pick up light diffusers that people use for florescent lights. They don't cloud, warp, and are cheaper. You can cut them with an acrylic cutter.[/b]

Sounds too good to be true. Bet even I could do this DYI. Can you see thru light diffusers... also do they let enough light through for plants?

Later,
Marge

longstocking

Members
Yes the light goes right through them. The only problem I have is algae gets on them and I'm too lazy to clean them off :lol:

dogofwar

CCA Members
"CAN YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN, wHAT TYPE OF CONTAINER AND LID?"

I'm a fan of using "dump filters" on top of my tanks - basically a small pump or powerhead pushing water into a rubbermaid on top of the tank...and gravity dumping back into the tank (through a hole in the bottom). Basically a filter and a hood in one.

I use the kind that are about 6" tall (the under the bed kind)...

cabinetmkr39

DavidG / CCA Member
thank you
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dogofwar @ Mar 6 2008, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

I'm a fan of using "dump filters" on top of my tanks - basically a small pump or powerhead pushing water into a rubbermaid on top of the tank...and gravity dumping back into the tank (through a hole in the bottom). Basically a filter and a hood in one.

I use the kind that are about 6" tall (the under the bed kind)...[/b]

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I have had plexi cut for my 10's because of the way they sit on my stand and since I have light strips laying on the tanks I can not use regular lids. I get the local hardware store to cut the plexi to the size I request. I make them to the little inside ledge so I can pull them off and slide them back on with out moving most of the lights. I take and cut a hole with a door lock hole saw. It is in the middle towards the front so that I can feed and my Python fits through if I want. When I do major cleaning I flip the lids over since they do bow.
I have the company cut because I am lazy. I cut the hole because of expense. I think the last time I asked, they wanted like 5 or $6 to make the lid but wanted like another 10 or $12 to cut the hole. I desided to do it my self. I have also cut the plexi but its tiring and I just let them do it.

Kevin

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dogofwar @ Mar 6 2008, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

I use the kind that are about 6" tall (the under the bed kind)...[/b]

Interesting concept. Is there a website where I (and possibly others) can research this further and perhaps see pictures or diagrams?

or could you bring a photo of it to the meeting on Saturday to share .... :smashfreakB: ...with everyone since all the members are of course going to be in attendance :smashfreakB:

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
At the risk of stepping on toes - there is - as far as I know - nothing called plexiglass. That may have once been a trade name for one of the old products but is no longer valid as far as I know. There are now two clear plastic products available from your local Home Depot. They are Acrylic and Lexan. Now it just may be that the Acrylic is actually called plexi but I do not think it is. Both materials are used by fish nuts to do things around the fish room.

Acrylic is generally sold thicker than Lexan and is cheaper. Lexan is more expensive and is thinner because it is much stronger. Lexan is also more resistant to scratches. Acrylic warps. I have a tank covered with quarter inch acrylic and have to turn it over once a week so it can warp the other way. Lexan does not warp.

Since the Lexan is thinner it will sag if used on long spans. 10 to 20 gallon tanks are not long spans and Lexan is far superior for creating covers. I cut it on my table saw using the blade I use for plywood (many teeth). As long as it is supported properly it cuts nicely. If you can cut it you can buy hinges just like the ones used in glass tops you buy for exorbitant amounts from the lfs and make light, plastic tops that are far superior to anything you can get from the lfs. I'll bring one from one of my fifteens tomorrow and show you what I mean. I think you can get the hinges from Aquatic Eco Systems.

I wish the light diffusers mentioned in this thread worked better but they are too brittle and are also not clear enough. They are the cheapest but I have never been able to cut them clean.

Don't even think about using glass. It is expensive and it breaks.

Make sense?

George

See Y'all tomorrow.

DeeCee

Members
I don't think we've tried Lexan before, but it sure sounds like it's worth a try! Especially if it's cheaper.
I know that acrylic warps like a Star Trek spaceship.

I already learned something new today. Now I can go back to bed............... LOL

DC

JustRon

Members
Marge, or others......

I probably have LOTS of acrylic that can be used for lids. WANT SOME?

Come and get it, free for the taking. Please call and make arrangements first, but I have piles........... Well, not the disease, nevermind.....

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JustRon @ Mar 8 2008, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Marge, or others......

Come and get it, free for the taking. Please call and make arrangements first, but I have piles........... Well, not the disease, nevermind.....[/b]

Ron, do you have one for a 75 gallon?

marge618

CCA member
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JustRon @ Mar 8 2008, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Marge, or others......

Come and get it, free for the taking. Please call and make arrangements first, but I have piles........... Well, not the disease, nevermind.....[/b]

Ron, that's Wonderful. Another resource. Someone will contact you soon about a time and date for pick up of acrylic.
Later,
Marge

DeeCee

Members
Mr Ricardo, I think that he has some pieces that may fit a 75, since it should have a support in the center. You'd just need 2 pieces, and depending on how pretty you like it, you may have to trim it to fit well. Anyway, that's about all I know about the leftover acrylic lids! LOL

DC

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SubMariner @ Mar 9 2008, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JustRon @ Mar 8 2008, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Marge, or others......

Ron, do you have one for a 75 gallon?
[/b][/quote]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DeeCee @ Mar 13 2008, 07:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Mr Ricardo, I think that he has some pieces that may fit a 75, since it should have a support in the center. You'd just need 2 pieces, and depending on how pretty you like it, you may have to trim it to fit well. Anyway, that's about all I know about the leftover acrylic lids! LOL

DC[/b]

Thank you Donna, for that valuable info. I'm thinking about getting a 75 gallon tank from Paul (The Mad Scientist :wacko: ) because I have a pair of Red Tiger Oscars who want to breed and so I need the space.

Having said that, I would need a top, filter and heater to set it up and when I get a chance to figure out when I can pick up the 75 from Paul, I will let you know. THANX!

RM