• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Tank size ?

When taxes come i want to get 1 or more tank(s) to try and raise the whole batch of con fry from fry to 2 or 3 inches. What size tank would be best? I was thinking a 6lx3wx1t or something in that area.

dogofwar

CCA Members
a standard 55g or 40B should be fine...although by 2-3" you'll have plenty of pairing a breeding with cons (or a lot of Central Americans)...

Matt

Ok so then it would be ok to split the tank in two and have one side got new fry and one side for the previous spawn. If i separate the fry right after they start swimming how long tell the parents spawn again?

dogofwar

CCA Members
With convicts, they'll either spawn again relatively soon (a couple weeks)...or the male will kill the female.

Matt

Ok so then it would be ok to split the tank in two and have one side got new fry and one side for the previous spawn. If i separate the fry right after they start swimming how long tell the parents spawn again?

Localzoo

Board of Directors
In my experience if you separate the babies too early the parents will reproduce within a week. but that will cause anxiety and stress within the parents. But if you keep the fry with the mated pair for two to three weeks they'll grow faster. Every three weeks you can have a new batch coming in dep on the number of pairs etc....

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ok so if i leave them with there parents for 3 weeks ( from eggs or fry) then it will be another 3 weeks before they breed again for a total of 6 weeks. Or they will breed as soon as i take the fry out.

What about if i breed them in a 55. Could i keep the fry with them tell they were 1 inch. If so would this stop them from breeding tell i took the baby's out.

Sorry for all the questions first time breeder.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Ok so if i leave them with there parents for 3 weeks ( from eggs or fry) then it will be another 3 weeks before they breed again for a total of 6 weeks. Or they will breed as soon as i take the fry out.

What about if i breed them in a 55. Could i keep the fry with them tell they were 1 inch. If so would this stop them from breeding tell i took the baby's out.

Sorry for all the questions first time breeder.

Yes
And you could keep them in there to 1" but they will keep the parents from breeding again until they decide to run the fry off (kick them out of the nest)...again this can vary based on the pair you have water condition food etc...but if you remove them the parents will fight you off then each other (blaming each other) but will eventually get back together....mine are used to it and don't fight after I remove fry they just get back to making babies within the week
You might try leaving the fry with them the first time just to see

dogofwar

CCA Members
It's not possible to know...

I keep pairs of cons and other Cryptoheros in 2'x2'x1' 30g tanks. If I want the parents to breed again, I add a piece of egg crate divider to allow some of the fry to escape (they'll chase away/kill old fry when they breed again).

Why are you so concerned about having them breed again and again?

Matt

I want to have them breed as little as possible without separating them. I am learning hands on now about raising fry and breeding. I was not really thinking that they would have there first spawn in 24 hours after i put him in. I do have other tanks to take care of the fry and also have some people that won't them for various reasons. I made sure i had somewhere for them to go before i started to breed.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
It's not possible to know...

I keep pairs of cons and other Cryptoheros in 2'x2'x1' 30g tanks. If I want the parents to breed again, I add a piece of egg crate divider to allow some of the fry to escape (they'll chase away/kill old fry when they breed again).

Why are you so concerned about having them breed again and again?

Matt

+1
It's all about the pair and there personality