• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Tank size for Arowana

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Depends to some degree on the type of arowana. Silvers are much more elongated than jardini and would be treated appropriately in a tank that is at least 72x36 if we are talking about standard sizes. A wide cylinder could also work. As for jardini, you could go 72x30.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Shane

Members
So if a 180 is not gona work long term then what size? just one

One rule of thumb (and I know ther are many) is that the minimum tank size for any fish is 6X length, X 2X width, 1X height. So, assuming an adult length of 36", roughly 18' X 6' X 3' (1,616 gallons) at adulthood. To put things in perspective, this would be equal to keeping a 1" neon tetra in a 6" X 3" X 1" tank (1/10th of one gallon), so this number is an absolute minimum since I doubt many of us would attempt to maintain a one inch fish in a 1/10th of a gallon aquarium.
-Shane

londonloco

Members
Aquatic Obsession in Manssas has one in their HUGE tank housed with a really really big pacu. I go say hi to both of them every time I'm in there. Pacu has the most interesting face, almost human like.