• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Tank Re-do. Suggestions welcome.

golsama

Corresponding Secretary
I'm thinking of redoing one of my 29 gallons. I've gotten quite bored with it. I would like to do a Tang tank. I'm fine with a single species or a couple of species. I'm looking for something that is relatively easy to breed, has a lot interesting behavior, and is fairly easy to acquire and doesn't cost an arm and a leg to get.

From the fish I've seen and read about, my favorite so far is Neolamprologus Brichardi.

Any other Tang stocking suggestions, general tank set up, etc. are greatly appreciated.

WendyFish

Members
I have lots of j. transcriptus if you want something that will breed and has interesting behavior:)
Ooooh. Are they sexable / are any paired? I've been thinking of getting some to live with my occies but haven't been in the mood for buying 6 and sorting them out.

minifoot77

Members
i have my three breeders that i'd like to get rid of :) they live in a 30 by themselves

Posted via mobile.capitalcichlids.org

Norm66

Members
I have a breeding trio of brichardi that have had two spawns already and I'm expecting a third in the next couple weeks. This has become my favorite tank I've ever had. They're really neat.

Julies are cool too but they don't spawn quite as liberally as the brichardi do IME.

You might also consider the julies and a shell-dweller species too. I kept juli transcriptus and nl. multies together for quite a while and while the julies picked off some fry here & there the multies are excellent spawners as long as there's enough shells and they're piled deep enough for the fry to be able to hide.

toddnbecka

Members
Brichardi in a 29 will quickly overcrowd the tank. They produce large numbers of eggs/fry with each spawn, and once they start they keep going regularly. Fine if you move the fry out as they grow...

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
You might also consider the julies and a shell-dweller species too. I kept juli transcriptus and nl. multies together for quite a while and while the julies picked off some fry here & there the multies are excellent spawners as long as there's enough shells and they're piled deep enough for the fry to be able to hide.

This is what I'd do.

Brichardi in a 29 will quickly overcrowd the tank. They produce large numbers of eggs/fry with each spawn, and once they start they keep going regularly. Fine if you move the fry out as they grow...

+1.

Norm66

Members

I can't argue with any of that, but it sure is fun watching all the babies growing up.

golsama

Corresponding Secretary
I already have shell dweller tanks. Six in fact, lol. So I'm not really looking to do another. Although I do love my multies. I could upgrade them to the 29. Other than the julies is there anything else that works with multies?

Last edited:

Leffler817

CCA Members
I've kept L. Leleupi, Compressiceps, and victorians with multis. They did great for me. I also keep Cyps and ventralis but I don't think they'd fit in a 29.(?) maybe the non-jumbo Cyps but I'm not sure????