• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Tank Mates Needed For Cherry Red Shrimp

marge618

CCA member
For some time I had trouble keeping Cherry Red Shrimp. Now I have a bunch of them in a 20G long with Edlers. There's a lot of Taiwan moss in the tank as well.

What do you suggest I add to the tank to make it more interesting?
(Note: I am looking for something that will not eat the shrimp or the endlers :pound:)

jrpatter

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (marge618 @ Sep 29 2008, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
For some time I had trouble keeping Cherry Red Shrimp. Now I have a bunch of them in a 20G long with Edlers. There's a lot of Taiwan moss in the tank as well.

(Note: I am looking for something that will not eat the shrimp or the endlers :pound:)[/b]

many of your smaller tetra, danio, and barb species will work fine. With mine I keep neon tetras, galxy rasbora, and montezuma swordtails. I also keep cherry shrimp in my grow out tanks so the fish can use them as feeders.

John

marge618

CCA member
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jrpatter @ Sep 29 2008, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (marge618 @ Sep 29 2008, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

(Note: I am looking for something that will not eat the shrimp or the endlers :pound:)[/b]

many of your smaller tetra, danio, and barb species will work fine. With mine I keep neon tetras, galxy rasbora, and montezuma swordtails. I also keep cherry shrimp in my grow out tanks so the fish can use them as feeders.

John
[/b][/quote]
You have had good luck with montezuma swordtails. Does this mean that Red Swordtails will go well with red cherry shrimp and endlers?

You also use CRS as feeders. I assume this means that in grow out tanks the tiny fry don't eat the adult shrimp but dine on the baby shrimp.

There are so many cherry red shrimp sold at GWAPA and CCA auctions. They can't all be 'fishfood'. Please tell me what you have with your shrimp as tank mates. (If tetra, danio, and barb please include which species.)

Also, are there other shrimp that I could include in the tank without worry of crossbreeding, or big shrimp eating smaller shrimp?

ingg

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (marge618 @ Sep 30 2008, 06:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jrpatter @ Sep 29 2008, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (marge618 @ Sep 29 2008, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

John
[/b][/quote]
You have had good luck with montezuma swordtails. Does this mean that Red Swordtails will go well with red cherry shrimp and endlers?

You also use CRS as feeders. I assume this means that in grow out tanks the tiny fry don't eat the adult shrimp but dine on the baby shrimp.

There are so many cherry red shrimp sold at GWAPA and CCA auctions. They can't all be 'fishfood'. Please tell me what you have with your shrimp as tank mates. (If tetra, danio, and barb please include which species.)

Also, are there other shrimp that I could include in the tank without worry of crossbreeding, or big shrimp eating smaller shrimp?
[/b][/quote]

First, realize that there is a difference between breeding them out, and having a sustainable colony. You can lose some to predation and still have an ongoing colony. BUT, they do need to be able to have some survivors here!

In general, you do one of two things. House them with fish so small and/or high swimming dedicated that they are fairly safe, or you make such a densely planted tank that they have tons of hiding places the fish can't hunt them in.

If it fits in the fish's mouth, it is going to try and eat it. Female Endlers also hunt and kill baby/juvenile cherry shrimp - been there, done that.

http://planetinverts.com/safe_tankmates_for_shrimp.html

Otocinclus are shrimp safe. Dwarf rasboras work fairly well. Hengeli/Espei Rasbora, Green eyed rasbora, are pretty dedicated high water column swimmers and do pretty well with shrimp in my tanks.

Most danios will slaughter every shrimp they find, as will most barbs, with barbs being a lot more aggressive about it. Rainbows are ugly, ask Michael Barber about his used-to-be shrimp colony with Rainbows - tiny ones like Threadfins may be different. Gouramis are a no go, no plecos I know of that are shrimp safe (but I don't keep plecos), dwarf cories are okay in my experience but larger ones have a bad rep in shrimp tanks.

Cichlids as a rule hunt them down and kill them, as do bettas, as do sunfish (I recently got pygmy sunfish which are way way too small to hunt adult cherry shrimp, but most of those around are a lot larger than these pygmy fish). Rams are an exception for me, but I think that is just because it is in a giant tank and Rams are pathetic hunters.

For other shrimp - dwarf crayfish work well, the various Cambarellus species. Amanos work well. Any other dwarf shrimp from the "other" family will not interbreed - there are caridinia and neocaridinia, and all of each respective family will cross breed. Cherries are neo's. Tigers, Crystal red shrimp, etc, are caridinia. Predatory cousins like red claw shrimp, larger crayfish, etc., not good.

Interbreeding chart:

http://planetinverts.com/Will%20These%20Sh...Interbreed.html

longstocking

Members
How this question came about.... I was pondering the idea of keepeing shrimp with plecos. Then I brought it up to Marge :)

We both have no idea.... but I had read someone that had successfully kept the two together where both were breeding. I have no idea how shrimp breed, act, etc. So really no point of reference for me to compare.

I would think... this is just my thougths, that the plecos would eat some of the eggs that were on the substrate.... but anything else would be ok. Therefor keeping the population down to an extent but allowing the shrimp to still reproduce.

Most plecos don't activily "hunt" .... it's just what they stumble across they get.

Cherry shrimp carry and fan their eggs so you wouldnt find shrimp eggs on substrate very often. I have kept bristlenose and cherry shrimp in the same tank but the shrimp were in the tank for a while before adding the bristle nose. I am sure that the bristlenose ate some but the tank was so heavily planted that there were plenty of places that the bristlenose couldnt get to. So yes, I have bred both in the same tank at the same time. I would think that if you added a large number of shrimp to a tank that already has bristlenose it would be about the same as long as there are hiding spots that bristlenose can not get into.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/5072/pict0065av4.jpg

http://search.live.com/images/results.aspx...2F1%2Fcegs2.jpg

longstocking

Members
Thanks Robert ! I figured that would be the case .... sounds like a perfect balance for me. Not too much work :lol: ... pleco's get fed occassionally and the shrimp thrive.

I don't think you can come up with a better senerio :)

Marge, pleco's won't hurt the endlers either :) I would think you might need to plant that tank a little differently though or maybe add some wood etc.

longstocking

Members
Just thougth I would let everyone know...

A 20 gallon with hypansistrus (sp?) and cherry red shrimp work out great ! All the shrimp are still there after a couple of days. A couple plants... but nothing crazy.

Now if the shrimp will reproduce :)

marge618

CCA member
Thanks for the info on cherry red shrimp.

ingg: The chart at this site is very clear.
"http://planetinverts.com/safe_tankmates_for_shrimp.html

Also: Thanks for the info on shrimp safe species. I am going to move otocinclus to my shrimp tank based on your recommendation.
"Otocinclus are shrimp safe. Dwarf rasboras work fairly well. Hengeli/Espei Rasbora, Green eyed rasbora, are pretty dedicated high water column swimmers and do pretty well with shrimp in my tanks. "

Sarah: I added wood, sand, a few rocks and another plant to my shrimp tank. I am glad the cherry red shrimp are doing so well with the hypansistrus. Let us know when you have shrimplets!

longstocking

Members
I will !

Seeing that I still really know nothing about these guys.... how long is their reproductuve cycle? What should I be watching for etc.

marge618

CCA member
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (longstocking @ Oct 7 2008, 07:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I will !

Seeing that I still really know nothing about these guys.... how long is their reproductuve cycle? What should I be watching for etc.[/b]

Go to one of these sites for some reliable info on getting the right shrimp for your establised tanks. They include detailed info on how to keep and raise freshwater shrimp. The pictures are good too.
Petshrimp
Arizona Inverts

(Note: watch out for the shrimp that require brackish water to reproduce. With them you have to dedicate another tank. Seems like a lot of time, effort and tank space.)

longstocking

Members
Well... before I left I noticed one of the shrimp was full of eggs...

Now I have tons of little babies running around !

They are getting bigger by the day :) It seems the pleco's don't care about them at all either... as they have spawned as well.

Just thought some of you might want to know that even carnivore pleco's don't put a dent into shrimp breeding and reproducing.

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
Another option are Apple snails (Bridgii) also called Mystery snails. They get to be golfball size and come in various colors. I have Ivory and purple ones with my cherries. They're actually pretty active and don't bother the shrimp at all. msjinkzd breeds every color know.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
I keep shrimp with ember tetras, celestial pearl danios, pygmy cories, sterbai cories, and in a community planted tank that has cherry barbs, cardinal tetras,and honey gourami. If you have areas of dense planting, its likely your will have a surviving colony in a tank that has peaceful community fish. Shrimp are the natural food for many fish, so the babies often get eaten, even by smaller species of fish. Since each female shrimp produces between 20-30 baby shrimp every 4-6 weeks, its likely your colony will sustain. I keep species tanks of shrimp, and a few communities, all of which are heavily planted which also helps.