• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Talk about high PH!

Plenipotentiary-at-large
They're all toast...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/10/08/hungary.toxic/?hpt=Sbin

The sludge spilling into the Danube has raised the PH of local streams to 13 and that of the Danube to 8.5. The article quotes an "expert" as saying it's only a small change to the Danube and therefore is not harmful to fish. Given that PH is a logarithmic scale and that 8.5 sounds pretty darned high, I'm skeptical.

The red "sludge" is aluminum oxide and other heavy metals - the locals should be relocated immediately or they will almost certainly all die of cancer, neurological disorders, etc.

"The Marcai River has been declared a dead zone". Oops. Really love the part about how it"s "still not known what caused a section of the reservoir (holding the waste) to collapse". Uh, that would be gravity coupled with criminal neglect by the manufacturers (site has been on at least one environmental watch list for years as a candidate for calamity). Some mystery.

Leffler817

CCA Members
They'll be fine

It's only a little metal. We had homes built on landfills and exploding rocks in the gardens when I was growing up in the Love Canal area of Niagara Falls. A little superfund clean up and it'll be good. :(

minifoot77

Members
It's only a little metal. We had homes built on landfills and exploding rocks in the gardens when I was growing up in the Love Canal area of Niagara Falls. A little superfund clean up and it'll be good. :(

thats whats up with you shawn :) you have pm

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Your empathy is touching...or perhaps your humor is off.

We don't even generally get funding for toxic remediation in this country, and as I recall Love Canal (which wasn't anywhere near as severe) took over twenty years, numerous lawsuits and the best part of several people's lives (e.g.,Lois Gibbs) to broker anything remotely proximate to a response which when it came was small recompense for the congenital and debilitating disease visited upon the community. Just hysterical. As for a "little metal", might want to look into just how very very little aluminum, mercury or other heavy metal is required to completely wreck a human immune/metabolic system.

Travis

Members
There aren't many case studies of human exposure to high levels of aluminum oxide, so this may provide the evidence that actually proves the molecule is actually a carcinogen to more than lab rats?