• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Talk About A Red Comp !

D

daniel4832

Sarah,
I don't know if you would fine two pairs at once, but if you did I wouldover pay for them from you :rolleyes:
Thanks,
Daniel

DeeCee

Members
The value of an object, like beauty itself, is in the eye of the beholder.

Sure, we all "overspend" on stuff - and Americans are big at spending what we have - and also what we don't have. Yep, we overspend all the time on things that we feel are worth it. And, in the words of someone that hasn't had a real paycheck in several months "God Bless E-Bay!" LOL :love0030:

DC

Charlutz

Members
There are many ways to determine a thing's "true value."
One is by how much money it could make you.
Another is by how much enjoyment you'd get looking at it.
Still another is sentimental value - Grandfather in WV used a spoon just like it. :)

None is any more/less valid than the next. Value is especially hard to determine when something is rare and can't be purchased elsewhere. Just because I wouldn't spend a certain amount for something, doesn't mean someone else shouldn't. After all, I think koi are big goldfish. :confused0068:

cyradis4

Members
Koi ARE big goldfish, they just hired a good marketing company![/b]

Lol!

But as someone who has a large goldfish (not a koi, but an honest to god fancy goldfish who is the size of a softball (body)) I think goldfish are underrated.... Not that I would spend $100 on a fancy goldfish....

But really nice Comps! I almost choked when I saw their price tag.....

Later!
Amanda.

Charlutz

Members
I stopped by Atlantis yesterday while I was in NY for the holdiday. Stayed about an hour. I'll have to check through my pics to see if I have anything worth posting. Had my 2 y.o. with me and she fell asleep in the car over so she wouldn't let me put her down to take proper pics. Peter wasn't there, but Jenn helped me and did a great job. Some of his breeders are absolutely stunning. My brother ballparked the facility at between 1200 and 1500 tanks.

marge618

CCA member
There are many ways to determine a thing's "true value."
One is by how much money it could make you.
Another is by how much enjoyment you'd get looking at it.
Still another is sentimental value - Grandfather in WV used a spoon just like it. :)

None is any more/less valid than the next. Value is especially hard to determine when something is rare and can't be purchased elsewhere. Just because I wouldn't spend a certain amount for something, doesn't mean someone else shouldn't. After all, I think koi are big goldfish. :confused0068:[/b]

Very well said. The tough part is determining how much YOU value the item in question.

D

daniel4832

Sarah,
There is no comparision between the pair offered by Atlantis, and the new auction(IMO).
Thanks,
Daniel

Sonny Disposition

Koi aren't goldfish, but a closely related species. Your point is well taken, though.

There are lots of great fish that don't cost much money. Oscars. Convicts. Texican cichlids. Variatus platys. Rosy red feeder minnows (the males' heads swell up with bumps, and they cave tend eggs until they hatch)

And my personal favorite cheap fish: the mummichog (Fundulus heteroclitus) They're abundant in the salt marshes of the east coast. They survive some of the worst pollution anywhere. Breeding males have irridescent green dots on an olive green background, and bright yellow fins. And to add insult to injury, they're sold in bait shops by the pint.

I have four cheap goldfish--I paid two dollars at most for one or two of them. The rest are rescues from a feeder tank. They're still neat fish with lots of personality. (And a great counterpoint to some cichlids which are great to look at, but beat each other up all the time.)

<div class='quotemain'>Koi ARE big goldfish, they just hired a good marketing company![/b]

Lol!

But as someone who has a large goldfish (not a koi, but an honest to god fancy goldfish who is the size of a softball (body)) I think goldfish are underrated.... Not that I would spend $100 on a fancy goldfish....

But really nice Comps! I almost choked when I saw their price tag.....

Later!
Amanda.
[/b][/quote]