• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Switched Lakes...in My Fishroom.

I spent Sunday switching over tanks. I moved all the Lake Malawi haps and peacocks back to there old home. And took the Lake Tanganyikans, and moved them into the longer tank.

I like the sand and rock and live plants in the new Tang tank better now.

A few tropheus shots....
11aTropheusRedJuvi032607.jpg

11bTropheusRedJuvi032607.jpg

11cTropheusRedJuvi032607.jpg

And a couple shots of the l. brevis sharing a sandy bottom for their shells....
1bLbrevisZebra032607.jpg

1aLbrevisZebra032607.jpg

maddog10

Members
I like the brevis shots. Moving tanks around is no fun. Seems like a good idea, and then about an hour in you wondering "why did I decide to do this?"

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I love shot #1. That one catches my eye the most.

(the opinion expressed above is not ne.......................... :p

I can't believe you guys don't like the the second tropheus shot. THE EYES ARE WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT!!!

Those background fish are looking directly into the lens. How cool is that?

Oh well. I'm always still learning... :unsure:

mscichlid

Founder
It is a nice shot. I just don't like that white rock in the front left corner. It competes with your subject.

It is a nice shot. I just don't like that white rock in the front left corner. It competes with your subject.[/b]

Yeah, the substrate was blown out. But you know, I didn't see it in my observation of the composition. The eyes of the background fish is what caught my attention.

If I would have cropped it out, it would not have been an issue. Most of my shots are very close to 0% cropping adjustment. I prefer dealing with what I see in the viewfinder. Sometimes it kicks me in the butt though. :(

D

daniel4832

Bobby,
If these pictures are of the last group of Tropheus you got from me, then they are Tropheus sp. "red" from Ndole Bay (which is next to cape Kachese). My concern is that they should be showing alot more red.
Thanks,
Daniel

Thanks for the info Daniel.

But you know, I couldn't find a picture of the Ndole, but I did find some of the Kachese. Not that I doubt you, but I asked Klaus over at the Afican Cichlid Forum if he had photos of the two to compare. While he didn't provide photos, he had the following explanation

Great pictures Bobby I had no idea that you could do that

OK, jokes aside. Looking at your pictures, I would say they are sp. "Kachese". To differentiate between Kachese and Ndole from photos is kind of tricky and I would not bet my next paycheck on my assessment. Just look at the coloration difference between the first photo and the rest. The lighting you need to get good photographs can make the fish look different from photo to photo.

Both variants come from the same area and live basically side by side, Ndole a bit further north then the Kachese. The difference is in the yellow. Ndole have hardly any yellow were the Kachese do, especially in the lower half of the body.

About the lack of red coloration. I think it may be due to the lighting I shot some of these with. Although I will say this, there are about six or seven that show a lot more red than the others. The dominant ones seem to have that darker maroon and brown body color though. Also, I just moved them into this tank about two weeks ago. I've noticed their colors getting better as they get more acclamated to their new home.

fishboy11

Members
Bobby, well, whatever they are, they are very nice. Could u fly out and take some shots of my malagarasi and linangu? LOL!

Bobby, well, whatever they are, they are very nice. Could u fly out and take some shots of my malagarasi and linangu? LOL![/b]

No problem. I'll start looking for the airfare e-tickets in my emails. :lol:

longstocking

Members
Could be your kh too. I find Tropheus look better when the kh is around 15 to 18. But on the other hand... I know when you shot my Illangi they looked brown (Mostly becuase they looked like crap at the time and party because of the lighting you used. )

I know when you shot my Illangi they looked brown (Mostly becuase they looked like crap at the time and party because of the lighting you used. )[/b]

Sorry about that. When shooting "field fish", the lighting is sometimes a guess. We never always get it the way the fish owner sees their pets. Always practicing :rolleyes:

longstocking

Members
OMG ! please don't say sorry !!! You gave me so many good shots of my fish ... I didn't mean it to come off that way ! They really did look like crap at the time.... it wasn't your pictures.

I'm sorry !! if I made you feel that I was anything but appreciative.

Remember last time you were over.... I talked to you about kh. PH really doesn't matter much. It's the kh that will determine how nice your fish look. At least with tangs that's the case. Maryland's water has a VERY low gh and kh. If you miss 1 water change it could drop your kh to nothing and your ph will crash.... leaving your fish a little more "brown".

Hey Sarah, everything is cool. I didn't take it as anything that needs an apology. I was just making an observation that when we shoot in the field, sometimes we can't get the lighting just the way we want it. When I shoot my own tanks, I can see the results on my CPU immediately, and if necessary, I can correct the lighting that I am trying to create.

That is good advice about the gh and kh. I have been a bit negligent on the water changes lately. Instead of weekly, I've been doing the big tanks every two weeks. You're probably right-on about the brownish colors.