• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Sunshine Peacock Holding

I got the awesome opportunity to watch my OB and Sunshine spawn today. They went at it for about 15 minutes. I counted over 25 eggs. I would say I'd donate some to the club, but I need to first get one successful fry count.

Day one done, 29 more to go.

:p

I'm guessing you may have a problem getting rid of mixed breeds. I'll bet they are going to be kinda interesting to see though.

Mixed breeds as in Peacock?? I'm new at most fish stuff (only about a year), so I always thought that a peacock was a peacock....I thought they were just called different names due to their coloration???

I know I'm going to get torn up for that last comment.....be nice lol

maddog10

Members
We won't rip you apart.

Think of "Peacock" as a general group name.

There are probably over 100 different species that would fall into that group. Most folks would advise not cross breeding the different species.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member

Na, we won't rip you. That's why we are here and why we bring speakers in for meetings. So we can learn and enjoy our hobby.
When it comes to mixed breeds or Hybrids.....you will find that Cichlid clubs usually follow the directives of the American Cichlid Association and frown on mixing the genes. Hybrids are not allowed in auctions and shows or to be sold on the ACA forum. The reason is mostly for the preservation of the species. A lot of the natural habitat that these fish come from is disappearing and so will the fish. We try to keep our fish as pure as we can with the limited gene pool. Some times hybrids happen in nature but not as often as in the aquarium.
We will not blast you for keep them. The biggest thing is to make sure people know they are not getting a pure bred when you pass some of the fry on.
I personally own line bred fish but will not knowingly own a hybrid. I think some are cool looking and blame no one for owning one. Others (blood Parrot) are just butt ugly and should not be for sale. Like I said that's just my opinion.

Please enjoy your fish and your tanks. The hobby needs people. With all the other entertainment possibilities now days this hobby has suffered. So if hybrids bring people into the hobby, fine. That gives us a chance to try to bring you over from the dark side.....lol

Sonny Disposition

Well said, Pat.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pat Kelly @ Jul 3 2008, 06:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Na, we won't rip you. That's why we are here and why we bring speakers in for meetings. So we can learn and enjoy our hobby.
When it comes to mixed breeds or Hybrids.....you will find that Cichlid clubs usually follow the directives of the American Cichlid Association and frown on mixing the genes. Hybrids are not allowed in auctions and shows or to be sold on the ACA forum. The reason is mostly for the preservation of the species. A lot of the natural habitat that these fish come from is disappearing and so will the fish. We try to keep our fish as pure as we can with the limited gene pool. Some times hybrids happen in nature but not as often as in the aquarium.
We will not blast you for keep them. The biggest thing is to make sure people know they are not getting a pure bred when you pass some of the fry on.
I personally own line bred fish but will not knowingly own a hybrid. I think some are cool looking and blame no one for owning one. Others (blood Parrot) are just butt ugly and should not be for sale. Like I said that's just my opinion.

Please enjoy your fish and your tanks. The hobby needs people. With all the other entertainment possibilities now days this hobby has suffered. So if hybrids bring people into the hobby, fine. That gives us a chance to try to bring you over from the dark side.....lol

[/b]

As Pat said, you can have a lot of fun cross breeding peacocks and sometimes the results are accepted and recognized as legitimate and intentional hybrids. However, there are many "purists" that frown on this practice.

Here is a good link to help you see all the different Aulonocara ( Peacocks ) on one page.

Here are a few photos of accepted hybrids in the hobby that I have kept.

Ruby Red...
18aRubyRed100606.jpg

OB Peacock...
8aOB111406.jpg

And even the very popular Albino Eureka Red, some feel is a hybrid..
16bAlbnoEurekaRed120306.jpg

I raised a line of cross breeds that were derived from one of my male A. Stuartgranti Maleri (variety of sunhine peacock) and a female A. Ethelwynne (blue and yellowish peacock). I named them "Amber Dawn Peacock" (my daughter's name). Well, thank god my daughter was a lot prettier than them. I couldn't give them away. And I might add, they were the most aggressive and pugnacious peacocks I ever kept. They ended up killing each other and I finally dumped them after a couple years.

When raising peacocks for resale, you definitely need to keep them isolated from other fish. That is the only way you can get pure breds. That is one of the reasons I kept an all male peacock/hap tank for years. Nothing but colorful fish and no women to get them in trouble. :winking0011:

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
lol
The discussion goes on....lol

See I concider two of them line bred color morphs.

But I am sure glad I never kept any of them........

When reading this please do not look at my avitar.....
LOL

Julie

Members
<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">It's really nice to see people informing or correcting others without A) Having an attitude, and B) denigrating the newbie. Another forum I go to (dog based) blasts anyone and everyone who doesn't think just like they do... argh!!</span>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
It's really nice to see people informing or correcting others without A) Having an attitude, and B) denigrating the newbie. Another forum I go to (dog based) blasts anyone and everyone who doesn't think just like they do... argh!![/b]

Without offending one of our own, who happens to be a mod at a popular cichlid site and doesn't fall into this category, but that is the main reason I haven't visited that annonimous site in a few years. :rolleyes:

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Its a club and the forum is for the club and guest.

Its for fun and there is a place for discussion but not for fighting.

Thats why I like it here too.

I really appreciate the info guys. I'm interested to see what these little guys will come out as. I have 3 cats in the tank now, and I'm not even sure if they will last too long. And for the ones that do, well there is 100 more gallons of water they can fill.

I'm thinking they will be free swimming by the time I get married, so I'll let everyone know what happens :p

Jumbie

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snakeeyes03 @ Jul 4 2008, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I really appreciate the info guys. I'm interested to see what these little guys will come out as. I have 3 cats in the tank now, and I'm not even sure if they will last too long. And for the ones that do, well there is 100 more gallons of water they can fill.

I'm thinking they will be free swimming by the time I get married, so I'll let everyone know what happens :p [/b]

Good luck with the fish post some pics when you get the chance. Congradulations on the marriage!