• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Suggestions

Ading522

Members
what kind of fish are you looking to stock on? depending on which way you go, maybe a few more plants, or stack some more rocks..

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I'd definitely add more rocks to the setup if you're going peacocks. May also want to break off a pile from the main stack to make is sort of a separate territory. I've found that dominant fish like having their own spot.

Peacocks need sight breaks, so it's not just that you need more rocks but rocks arranged in a different way. You need places where they can swim through and I'd stack all the way to both ends of the tank. it doesn't have to be high, necessarily, as peacocks so like some swimming room. It's a balancing act, though, as you have a small tank, so too many rocks can eventuall work against you if there's not enough swimming area. A few small rocks in the foreground can also give them some reassurance.

A background, definitely.

Real plants look much better IMHO. you can almost always get vals or anubias during our auctions for good prices. They don't need much tending to.

This is what I do in my 40 breeder ruby red tank to allow me to have two males in a small tank.

Picture1a.jpg

Hollyfish im sorry to tell you this darling but those are not ruby reds those fish you have there are german reds believe me on this one the diff between the two is german reds get alot of blue in the face and just a little red behind their gills maybe half way through their bodies on some of them. While the ruby reds have more of a red face and a almost completely red body. But then again pretty much all the same fish but ya I would call those fish germans for sure but no matter what peacocks period are definitely the most beautiful out of all africans.

I love malawi cichlids!!

Tony

Hollyfish im sorry to tell you this darling but those are not ruby reds those fish you have there are german reds believe me on this one the diff between the two is german reds get alot of blue in the face and just a little red behind their gills maybe half way through their bodies on some of them. While the ruby reds have more of a red face and a almost completely red body. But then again pretty much all the same fish but ya I would call those fish germans for sure but no matter what peacocks period are definitely the most beautiful out of all africans.

I love malawi cichlids!!

As far as I understand it, the line between the two names has become blurred to the point that they are used interchangeably. They are both man-made line bred peacocks that are sold under either name and in the last 10 years have been crossed-bred extensively. Same goes with the term "Rubescens peacock."

All essentially - the same fish.

Ading522

Members
take the log out of your eye, before you point out the needle on someone else's eye..

we really don't have to call out people on the forum.. this is a place for people to learn and grow knowledge about the hobby.. if someone made a mistake, you really don't have to call them out.. IMHO german reds and ruby reds all just come from the same line..just as Tony said.. essentially the same fish..

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Wha???

Did I miss something? Only thing in this thread remotely resembling "calling anyone out" is your post calling people out for calling people out, and now maybe mine for calling you out for calling people out on calling people out.

These new-style moral compasses are just too dang sensitive.

Tony

LOL. I wasn't trying to start anything... apologize if I offended you, Kenny.

Wasn't meant to call anyone out ... in fact, I've seen that topic discussed on many other threads on this and other cichlid forums. It's pretty confusing because the lineage of these fish (line-bred peacock to start) has become even more diluted through marketing, distribution and usage of trade names.

Rubescens, German Red, Ruby Red, Woodi Red.... all names for the same red line-bred peacock (that all originally came from stuartgranti Chipoka).

Sort of like arguing the difference between a "Strawberry Peacock" and a "Dragonsblood Peacock." Same line-bred fish.

Breezyod

Members
Thanks for the advice I think that sounds like a good idea breaking up the rocks and kinda making 2 territories. I want to try some live plants but I am going to try those in my smaller tank first thanks for all the advice

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Hawkman2000

Members
Tall piece of driftwood on slate with java fern between the split rock stack, stack the rocks higher and silicone them together so they don't fall, and a plain black background?

AquaStudent

Members
I don't nearly have enough experience with ACs to be giving out advice but I can give you tips on how I like to scape my tank for appearance and what I used to do for my Malawis.

I tried to maximize the number of caves/hiding spots. I also tried to incorporate a range of sizes so that the smaller fish had places that the bigger fish couldn't enter.

The biggest thing that helps make a tank look better (to the eye) is a background. Hiding all the wiring and equipment in the back allows you to focus on what's really important...the fish!
Plants provide shelter for the inhabitants as well as (if they start growing) some amount of natural filtration of nitrates and nutrients.

I know I'm planning on getting some Jungle Val for my 55g AC tank. I currently have a couple of anubias plants that provide a nice contrast to teh tank. Greens are hard to come by in cichlids so it's a welcome in my book.

If you plan on keeping plants the most important thing for them is lighting (especially spectrum). My favorite temperature for lights is about 6500K. I've found that grows plants the best and let's the fishs' colors pop quite nicely.