• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

suggestion for my soon empty 55g tank..

TheWire

Members
Anyway, I am bored with Malawi cichlids...they keep begging food like dogs :)
Any suggestion what sort of fish I should keep on my soon be to empty 55g tank!

Maybe I should keep 4 of the remaining yellow labs i have..I have them for a few years already

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
ID SAY A LONE JAG TILL HE OUTGROWS THAT 55. BEANI, GRAMMODE, GREEN TERRORS.......WHAT DO YOU LIKE?

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Buy a Piranha, he'll sit in the corner and do nothing plus he wont beg for food.

He's more like a cat than a dog. LOL!

lonlangione

Members
Piranha get a bad wrap. Piranha are characins, big tetras. They are schooling fish. When you keep one in a tank by itself, it just sits. Two will usually fight. When you keep a group of them together, it is a site to behold. I have not been to the Baltimore Aquarium for a few years. But as you walk up into the rainforest, they have tanks that sit right on the floor. One of these tanks is full of red belly piranhas. It has always been my favorite tank at Baltimore. When I had my fish shop, I had a 180 gallon tank with 6 wild Pygocentrus / Serrasalmus maculatus, the gold piranha in it. When the sun would come in the front windows and shine on them they were stunning. So if you choose piranha's, buy 6 - 8 little ones and when they get bigger they will swim constantly.

cholile

Members
For a 55G tank when you're bored of fish that just swim around begging for food that means it's time to go for some tangs. Save for fronts they don't get too big and they have lots of personality.

Keep it well filtered and put some cyps to take over the top of your tank and some shell dwellers (multies, brevis, similis or occies) to play around with the bottom of the tank.

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Piranha get a bad wrap. Piranha are characins, big tetras. They are schooling fish. When you keep one in a tank by itself, it just sits. Two will usually fight. When you keep a group of them together, it is a site to behold. I have not been to the Baltimore Aquarium for a few years. But as you walk up into the rainforest, they have tanks that sit right on the floor. One of these tanks is full of red belly piranhas. It has always been my favorite tank at Baltimore. When I had my fish shop, I had a 180 gallon tank with 6 wild Pygocentrus / Serrasalmus maculatus, the gold piranha in it. When the sun would come in the front windows and shine on them they were stunning. So if you choose piranha's, buy 6 - 8 little ones and when they get bigger they will swim constantly.

Wow Lonny! Those gold Piranhas sound pretty cool. Must of been nice...

toddnbecka

Members
Move out the cichlids, stock up on Endler's or guppies, and by the time the tank is crowded with them you'll decide on something to eat them. :lol:

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
pseudotropheus saulosi!

Nah, jk Kam. :p

I like the idea of stocking up discus in a planted setup.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I have my discus in a 55g planted tank now. Its fine for 4 adults and a few other community dither fish. And they're not as hard to take care of as some people make them out to be. Plus, you're not too far from Discus-hans, the best source for discus!

Jumbie

Members
Move out the cichlids, stock up on Endler's or guppies, and by the time the tank is crowded with them you'll decide on something to eat them. :lol:

That’s really funny and a great way to think lol. I agree with Piranha would be awesome, they are just really miss understood lol. I raised 6 up to adults and that tank was really cool, the best part was they were always swimming back and forth. Very attractive!