• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

SUCK! Heater stuck!

mscichlid

Founder
The heater in one of my 75's stuck and the water was 106 degrees. Needless to say, I am down in the dumps. I lost a beautiful female Crenicichla proteus that I got from George and my wild caught Red shoulder severum male that I have had for several years now. These were show quality fish and I had plans to breed them. I was even toying with the idea of taking them to Indy next year.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
No good reason...

...heaters are made that allows them to go beyond 90 degrees, and that's even fatal for a lot of species as well as ick. Think the new Marinelands have cut-off switches, certainly wouldn't be hard to build them with back-up/over-ride sensors/switches.

I pulled all my heaters this spring except for the one in the discus tank, am curious as to which brand caused the problem. I empathize - hate it when that happens.

maddog10

Members
Sorry to hear it.

This is why I heat the room and not the tanks. If I tank needs more heat, you are then able to use a smaller heater than you would normally need.

mscichlid

Founder
HEATERS.jpg

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Ouch, Sorry

Yeah I think thats the heater I have in the 150.
Like Mike, I only use a few heaters that are small in the fish room and only in a couple tanks. In the family room the tanks do have heaters. But
I usually unplug them in the summer months.

Buckcich

Members
This is why I heat the room and not the tanks. If I tank needs more heat, you are then able to use a smaller heater than you would normally need.

Franny, sorry to hear about your malfunctioned heater. As Mike posted, I do the same

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
FRAN I'M SORRY TO HEAR THIS. HURTS LOSING FISH ESPECIALLY FAVORITES. STAY STRONG AND GO FISH SHOPPING SOON!

mscichlid

Founder
Don't have to shop much. Not that I can, but if I find a male Crenicichla proteus male I can put the remaining female with him in the 75. Or make it a farm tank for plants. Although, with the pikes I could do both. But that means adding another light and C02 maybe. . .could do crypts though, huh?

msjinkzd

invert junkie
what a shame :(

I stopped using heaters as well after cooking all my contradens and L046 last year. I am so sorry franny!

Did you get your new co2 setup that you won yet? You could split that and run co2 to both tanks :D